• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling + Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow300

Now I am not sure if this should be in liquid cooling or extreme cooling but I put it here because I feel it fits better. I just have a theoretical question on using a peltier to keep temps down. I am aware that cooling anything below room temp will run the risk of condensation but how about pegging room temps? So have a temperature probe in the tubing line somewhere and have it trigger on and off a peltier to keep the water at exact room temperature which could be monitored by another temperature probe outside of the case. Curious if this would increase the performance of a liquid cooling system tremendously. Now only the temperature of the water and not the temperature of the components could be monitored because condensation will happen when the water inside the tubes is less than room temp. So even though the water moving through the system would be at room temp, would the cooling effectively keep the components at room temps as well? Or would there be a difference in temperature of water vs temperature of block surface and components.

The water in a good loop wont get that far above room temp anyway. Pretty much like chasing unicorns to do what your asking. Just get some con-formal spray coating or dielectric grease and use the pelt the way its intended.

Peltier is good only if you can cool down other side of the plate using 2x better or more cooling than your CPU is generating heat. So if average CPU has about 100W TDP then you need about 200W peltier and cooling capable to spread 200W+ heat. That's for full load stock. For overclocking you will need something like 300W+.
In real it won't help you much but will cause much higher power usage. If peltier will be small like a CPU to cover IHS then there won't be much condensation around unless you use much stronger cooling/peltier for low wattage CPU.

I have been planning a system that uses peltiers to chill my water temp closer to room temperature.
2 Loops, one chilling the peltiers that connect to heat exchangers which chill the primary loop.
Gains are very small thou but peltier doesn't need much wattage with this setting. It might even be possible to aircool the peltiers and gain somewhere around 3-4c lower delta. Expensive and pointless stuff but it would make up as a nice experiment.

Back