• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P Sabertooth R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waza

So this morning I was carrying on my normal routine of Bathroom,Coffee, Check my mail and something horrible happened.
When I tried to fire up my PC all it did was this tiny flash inside the case around the socket area and that was it. My mobo just decided to die on me.
I checked for any evidence of what could have happened but there was none. WC setup did not leak, there was nothing out of the ordinary that caught my eye on the mobo.
I suspected faulty PSU but it is running fine.
So...

What is it that makes this innocent little motherboard commit suicide all the sudden.
I thought I took good care of it :(

Yeah..
But on a serious note if it killed my CPU I'm gonna kill it again.
It is/was a decent chip :/

Sucks. I will get ****load of deliveries TODAY, There's new radiator, fans, controllers and misc stuff waiting for pickup. Scythe is shipping me replacement fans directly from Germany and I should get them to my door any minute now.
Of course this had to happen today, was so pumped up this morning.

It was around the socked where it sparked. So either it was caused by cpu or the mobo just gave out. But I'm sure that the mobo is gone. I've never seen that cpu would give out like that so I'm hoping it's still fine.

Wow sounds like it may be from the VRM section, maybe try pulling off the heatsink to see,

I try to RMA it. It is only couple months old. if that doesn't work I'm going to strip it and bake it.
it's kind of funny that I have never ever owned anything from Asus that would work or hasn't failed. For three years I stayed away from their products but since DFI is out business(consumer market) and EVGA didn't have any decent boards for am3 I had to get Asus one.

Corsair CX750M It's not the best but it's one of the only decent ones in CX lineup.

Should be fine. Weird the board died. So much for the sabertooth mythos I guess. The rma should go through, I've had good luck with Asus. I do recommend taking a few good pictures of both sides of the board before you send it in, sometimes Asus likes to claim "customer damage", and having pics with the date on them would be a good help in that situation.
It seems unlikely in this case given that it was working, you shut it down, the turned it on and it went Blam.

The rma should go through, I've had good luck with Asus. I do recommend taking a few good pictures of both sides of the board before you send it in, sometimes Asus likes to claim "customer damage", and having pics with the date on them would be a good help in that situation.
I second that!

asus never tells the tail.

+1 on taking good pictures, front and back.
I have a total of 11 asus boards and the only issues that i have had are with nics and asus has taken care of those without issues. as far as the sabertooths that i have, never had a problem with either of them and one is a first release.

Actually sounds like what happened to me many years ago.
Water cooling setup on an Asus board. Booted it up fine in the morning and was about to leave checked on the computer (thank god) and had flames shooting out the back of the case (cover was off). Computer ran fine, could shut it down normally no issues.

Though come to find out that the CPU hold down blew a hole nearly clean through my motherboard on 1 of the 4 hold downs. I was totally amazed and shocked. Could of burned my place down at the time.

Wish you luck and hope it didn;t fry anything.

Should be fine. Weird the board died. So much for the sabertooth mythos I guess. The rma should go through, I've had good luck with Asus. I do recommend taking a few good pictures of both sides of the board before you send it in, sometimes Asus likes to claim "customer damage", and having pics with the date on them would be a good help in that situation.
It seems unlikely in this case given that it was working, you shut it down, the turned it on and it went Blam.

And write the boards current revision down and serial number as well. Then you can see if they replaced the board or repaired it. I take closeup pictures of mobo revision and the serial number.

Had a friend who sent off 4 or 5 CHV's at the same time and they all came back fixed and have been in use now for nearly 1.5 years. Shett happens when we push the stuff. Not often but it does happen.

Luck on the RMA and it should be a working situation when the RMA is completed.
RGone...

I was bored today so I investigated the board some more.
I got the board to power up without the 8 pin ATX power connector so I grabbed a multimeter and found that all of the 8 pin connectors are dialing trough.
So the board shorted out, I'm tempted to pull off the VRM heatsink to see if there is any damage but that would probably void the warranty :D
I got the RMA number and I need to send it back Monday. It goes trough the retailer so I am expecting a loooooong wait before getting it back.

Meanwhile I'm back using my trusty Q6600 and it too is acting out. Check out this core temp variation.
wot.jpg

I have reseated it 5 times and even tried adjusting the mounting pressure while reading the temps. I had 3 degree variation before I put that CPU on the shelf and now this insanity :D

What a bummer. Back to a Q6600.... which isn't really that bad!! At least you gained some single threading performance!! jk bro jk.

Hope the RMA goes through for you. I'd test that PSU before using it on a new or RMAed board. 9 or 10 times I seen a board die in this manor, the PSU was to blame.

What a bummer. Back to a Q6600.... which isn't really that bad!! At least you gained some single threading performance!! jk bro jk.

Q6600 is actually faster running superPI @3.2Ghz than FX8350 is @ 5GHz without Stilt's fix. :D

Back