• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte Z87XUD7 TH Crossfire Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoinks

I recently built a new system around this Gigabyte motherboard and it has given me nothing but trouble from day 1. I battled stability problems for two weeks when 4 DIMMs were installed. The box was rock stable with two 8GB DIMMs but when I put the other two DIMMs from my G.Skill 32GB memory kit in the system had frequent BSODs. I eventually was able to tune the memory speed and timings to a point where things were stable, no thanks whatsoever to Gigabyte support. I later found out that this seems to be a problem with a lot of Z87 Gigabyte boards. Funny how reviewers never seem to stumble on to these things but countless numbers of owners do.

Sorry for the rant. My latest problem is that with two MSI R9 290X Lightning cards installed the card in Slot x16_1 is disabled and only the card in slot x16_3 is seen by the system. If I switch the cards the result is still the same, the card in slot x16_1 is disabled and the card in slot x16_3 works.

The video cards are installed exactly as the manual recommends for 2-way Crossfire. I also have the auxiliary PCI-e power connected to my Corsair AX1200i power supply.

I am at the end of my rope with this motherboard and am considering replacing it with a Asus Maximus VI Extreme. But I thought I would reach out to the forum for suggestions before buying another motherboard.

Last edited:
I sorted things out this morning. My build is in a Corsair AIR540 case, and while I love the clean look that the case design affords the system builder, things can get pretty cramped when running cables.

I think what happened is when I installed the second video card things got a little tight and some cables were putting a little bit of pressure on the card in slot x16_1 and it wasn't getting a good seat in the slot. So I pulled both video cards and re-routed the power cables. That seems to have resolved the problem and now both cards are seen by the system and I have Crossfire working.

I had so much difficulty getting this board running reliably that it was just a little too easy to blame the motherboard for this new issue. But I was tired last night and that is usually not a good time to be fiddling with your rig. So I put it down and thought it through this morning over a cup of coffee. I might have some gripes about the motherboard and Gigabyte support, but it seemed pretty unlikely that the board was responsible for this particular problem, and decided to revisit assembly.

Back