• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

With Wirefly gone, are there any other options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

For those not aware, Wirefly sold new cell phones with contracts for less out of pocket than the carrier stores charged. You could save some decent cash by getting phones through them. They've filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so they're gone gone and won't be coming back. At least not as the company they were before (someone might buy the name, but Chapter 7 = liquidation of assets).

Are there any other online companies that beat the carriers in terms of pricing for contract phones? My contract is up this month so I'm starting to look around. Maybe I'll go back to buying used phones ...

I picked up a used Pantech Discover phone on CL for $50. Seller was asking $100, but he didn't have the charger. That's when I made him an offer in cash he couldn't refuse ;). Got a pay-as-you-go plan with AT&T for $40 a month with free activation and ported over my number.

I'm done with contracts. Got burned too many times with them.

I've seen some decent deals on ebay with included shipping. Right now a Lumia 925 is selling for $199 new. Pop in the T-Mobile $30 walmart plan and you're off to the races on LTE too. I have unlimited everything with them and no contract.

Sometimes Amazon or Worst Buy offers deals where you can get new phones for $50 or $100 with contract instead of the normal $200 a carrier would charge.

For those not aware, Wirefly sold new cell phones with contracts for less out of pocket than the carrier stores charged. You could save some decent cash by getting phones through them. They've filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so they're gone gone and won't be coming back. At least not as the company they were before (someone might buy the name, but Chapter 7 = liquidation of assets).

Are there any other online companies that beat the carriers in terms of pricing for contract phones? My contract is up this month so I'm starting to look around. Maybe I'll go back to buying used phones ...
I wish I knew of something like this for us guys in Canada.
Sometimes Amazon or Worst Buy offers deals where you can get new phones for $50 or $100 with contract instead of the normal $200 a carrier would charge.

"Worst Buy" :rofl:

*sigh* Companies price gouge like mad. Can't believe they can do that.
Other than fleabay and maybe kijiji I'm not really sure where else one can get good used phones.

Back