• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build / Mod Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HappyBuddhaman

Hello everyone,

Just looking for opinions / advice on my current build. Any input is appreciated. This is used for gaming / music and general home use.

Case - Thermaltake GT Level 10 Snow edition - I know it's a little old, and kinda odd, but I do love this case.
MB - ASUS Formula VI
PSU - Cooler Master V1000 - JonnyGURU had a killer review of this PSU, plus all the cables are flat black, except the main power, which is sleeved and any exposed wires are black also.
CPU - Intel i7 4770k - overclocked.
CPU cooler - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme with 2 Enermax 120 Vegas Quad fans- This rated a little better than the Corsair, plus I keep hearing the Corsair software will not work on Windows 8.1 This cooler is temporary - see below.
RAM - 16 GB G.SKILL Trident X 2133 CL9 (2 x 8GB) - still debating about going to 2400, but unsure if I can lower the timing.
GPU - Currently using a GeForce 650ti, will be upgrading to either dual ASUS 780 Poseidons, or dual 780ti's.
Thinking on putting that ASUS dual bay front panel in, I know that will kill my headphone and mic jack on my case, I'm fine with that.

Swapping out the 140mm fan in the back with an Enermax 140 LED fan, (all fans are Enermax LED's) adding a bottom intake fan, and adding an intake fan behind the headphone hook (for those familiar with the case). This will give me positive air pressure in the case.

With all those Enermax LED fans, I know this thing will light up like a UFO, the Enermax fans are quiet, and the LED's can be turned off. Also thinking on framing the top, bottom, and right side of the MB in red cold cathode, and adding 2 4 inch tubes behind the front fan to illuminate the drive bays.

Now I will eventually water cool the entire setup, which is why the Water 3.0 is temporary, I'm looking at the Posoidon 780's as they have water blocks built in, and when OC'd they perform better than the 780 ti. I figure I can fit a 140mm raidiator in the back, a slim 240 behind the HD bay, and I might be able to cut and expand the top of the case and fit a 360 raid up top. Haven't decided on a reservoir / pump yet, debating between internal cylindrical or a dual bay reservoir. Maybe a FrozenQ or a Monsoon. If I use a dual bay reservoir, and the ASUS Front Panel, I know I'll have no bays left, which is fine, I'm keeping an external BR / DVD combo writer I can connect via USB 3.0, I rarely use CD's anymore, why use a bay for something I may use once every 6 months?

I've seen quite a few nice mods done with this case. I also want to remove the side fan and cut the whole door out, Thinking on a way to install 2 120mm intake fans on the bottom corners of the door when I do that, but I'm a while away still.

I also know the Haswell refresh is right around the corner, and DDR4 is coming out (although I don't feel that will be widely adopted until arouond 2016), but I'm PCless right now :mad::bang head, and don't want to wait another 6-8 months to build.

Thoughts? :D:D

What are the intended uses for the rig?

What really stands out to me is this:

If you're planning on watercooling get a case you can do it with. A case is a very personal choice and if you love the GT 10 then it's a moot point but I would get something that can handle the watercooling. I have done full custom loops on 3 of my rigs now and what I've learned with them is, you will run out of space real quick if the case isn't made to handle it. Also take into consideration that a 360 rad may not be enough for an overclocked 4770k and a 780ti. It all depends on how far you plan on pushing and how quiet you want it to be.

You're motherboard is total overkill unless you're planning on overclocking the pee out of it with sub ambient cooling. Again, it's a personal choice and if you're getting it because of the looks then it's your rig and you have to like it.

Your PSU is overkill also, even if you go Sli you can easily do it with a 750w Psu.

Haswell refresh, will be coming as well as DDR4 but something will always be in the pipeline, it's easy to play the waiting game forever.

Last edited:
Back