• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the General Concensus as to What VCore Application Method is Best

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

Ok so basically what I want to know is what vcore application method is best for a set and forget overclock (something that will not degrade at least before 3 years)...

a. Manual...set it and it never changes, I've read some people really support this even with all the offset and adaptive abilities on motherboards these days

b. Offset....I read that there can be problems at lower end of curve where it doesn't supply enough voltage for light use and boom you get blue screens

c. Adaptive....seems when using anything AVX related it makes your Vcore jump thru the roof...also extremely heavy loads supposedly push it past the vcore set in Bios when type is put as Adaptive.

Reason I'm asking is, I dialed in an overclock of 4.4ghz on a manual vcore of 1.23v, shown as 1.24v in Cpu-z. All other settings were on auto except the Multi, uncore frequency (wtf is it called now) which i locked at default 3800mhz, and the ram (set the xmp profile to enabled and locked voltage at 1.5v) for testing I ran aida64 for 8 hours with the CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory Subsystem checked...passed, also did the XTU Cpu test for 2 hours, it passed also....per Earthdogs guide I then went and put the voltage from Manual to adaptive for Vcore and then Multi to adaptive also and left all energy savings on. (EIST, CIE, C states Auto). Didn't do any long term stress test but when I did vcore per CPU-Z went from 1.288-1.312 staying mainly below 1.3 but bobbing up to 1.312 in spurts. So Question is, is the setup I listed seem safe for long term use (the adaptive one) or should I be going back to Manual, yes I do want power savings but I don't feel comfortable about how the Vcore bobs way past what I set it in bios with Adaptive enabled (even though I have read that is controlled on chip by the voltage regulator and bios cannot override that)

Sorry for No Pics cannot get Bios f12 to work since I don't have a USB stick and only use a USB Sd card reader which seems not to be compatible with the screenie function of these EUFI bios.

Its preference really as in the end its all the same. I set it manually that way I don't have to worry about basic math with offsets and adaptive. Set it, check it once, fugetaboutit. :)

Its preference really as in the end its all the same. I set it manually that way I don't have to worry about basic math with offsets and adaptive. Set it, check it once, fugetaboutit. :)

When you say all the same, I mean as long as I do mainly gaming and internet browsing adaptive would be better (assuming I stay away from AVX), however if I do do something that uses AVX alot I should lean manual so It doesn't overshoot.......or should I be reducing Vcore so that when using AVX it only caps slightly above 1.24v per cpuz etc instead of this spike from 1.24 (say when gaming) to 1.3 ballpark?...I can see how they are different because set and forget manual doesn't clock down nor reduce power consumption as Adaptive and Offset do but they are alike in that you do have to have X number of Volts at Vcore for Y Frequency when the CPU is pegged at Top frequency.

Back