• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

getting the urge to update my computer even though this one (see sig) was suppose to last forever! although it's lasted a long time and ultimately still works pretty good.

CPU: i7 4770k
GPU: gtx 760 or 770
Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2400MHz CL10
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper 5

goals are
-overclocking and maybe even volt modding (if that's even still required, i've been out of the game for a while...)
-gaming
-longevity 5-10 years.

thanks for your help!

I've got 760 cards, I really think a 780 is a better deal for further down the road.

price wise the 760's are great bang for the buck now.

I would chill , Intel refresh is right around the corner,

Might as well get a brand new plaform considering your upgrade cycle of 5 to 10 years

I would chill , Intel refresh is right around the corner,

Might as well get a brand new plaform considering your upgrade cycle of 5 to 10 years

I was wondering if they were, I will check out the Intel section for info.

No computer is going to last you ten years. Granted, progress has slowed. You don't get almost twice the performance out of the next level of CPU like you once did, but consider this...

A 10 year old PC at this point would be something like a 3.2Ghz single core Pentium 4. That's a piece of garbage by today's standards. Look at what a P4 with , say, a Radeon 9800 Pro could churn out (ie, Unreal Tournament 2004). Then look at what a 4770K and a GTX 780 can do. They're in two completely different worlds.

ut-2004c.jpg

metro-last-light-20110607022021155.jpg

If you want it to last about 3 years I would purchase the GTX 780 unless you will need new hardware next year for DirectX 12.

so is the z79 the intel refresh i'm waiting for? or is there a new cpu chip coming out too?

so is the z79 the intel refresh i'm waiting for? or is there a new cpu chip coming out too?

Nope you're waiting for Z97 (socket 1150) boards, which are out now, and "Devils Canyon" K sku CPUs due out this summer. 4790K will be the unlocked i7 part AFAIK.

If you're in a rush to get up and running, you can get a Z97 board and a 4770K with the option to upgrade the CPU in the future. You still retain all the functionality of the Z97 board with a Haswell CPU.

Nope you're waiting for Z97 (socket 1150) boards, which are out now, and "Devils Canyon" K sku CPUs due out this summer. 4790K will be the unlocked i7 part AFAIK.

If you're in a rush to get up and running, you can get a Z97 board and a 4770K with the option to upgrade the CPU in the future. You still retain all the functionality of the Z97 board with a Haswell CPU.

lol, dyslexia have i guess. i meant the Z97.

cool, i will wait till the end and hopefully get a build going.

Thanks.

devil's canyon release date mid-June.
Here is my picture of a 10 year old game and new, I thought the new games would look like a blu ray movie by now technology is slow going.
UT2004 2014-05-14 22-46-36-68.jpg
crysis3 2014-05-14 22-51-52-23.jpg

Last edited:
Back