• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast data access solution question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ephemera

Registered
Hi Overclockers,

I'm looking to replace my Pentium 4 PC (LOL). I'm considering i5 4570 on ASUS Z87 A. I'd appreciate your input with regard the following storage considerations:

Theoretical data rates for different standards:
USB 3.0 625 MB/s
USB 3.1 (July 2013) 1,250 MB/s
SATA 3.0 750 MB/s
PCIe 2.0 500 MB/s/lane
PCIe 3.0 985 MB/s/lane
DDR3 102,000 MB/s (ie. 512 b/s * MemoryClock Freq. 1600 MHz)

I gather the actual data rates of current devices (solid state) are significantly lower, with the better products only reaching half the theoretical speed.
The best SSD I have found is the OCZ RevoDrive 3, PCIe. It achieves about 1,000 MB/s (the “x2” version does 1,500 MB/s). The device interfaces to PCIe 2.0, 4 lanes, making good use of the 2,000 MB/s potential. (BTW what's the holdup towards 16 lanes PCIe 3.0 and its 15,760 MB/s potential??)

In any case the RAMDisk software product included on the ASUS RAIDR PCIe SSD enables use of the mobo's RAM banks as a virtual drive and tested “12,000 MB/s” according to the manufacturer's website (On the same page it also indicates 120,000 MB/s. Possibly a reference to the potential for >1600 MHz DDR3).

Here's where I need your expert opinions. It seems to me like the entire storage issue is a no brainer!
OS and frequent use stuff on the RAIDR SSD (or other SSD, if the RAMDisk software can be had separate), low freq. access data on cheaper HDD and software enabled, RAM, virtual drive loaded at start up (or at any time) with the applications needed.

What am I missing?! Did I make some mistake?
Are there other solutions / products to use the mobo's RAM as a virtual drive?

Thanks.

Curious... What do you do that requires such hardware and ram disks...? That is quite an expense that, for most yields little bit bragging rights.

Curious... What do you do that requires such hardware and ram disks...? That is quite an expense that, for most yields little bit bragging rights.
Overclocker EarthDog,

I intend to run some large datasets number crunching with MATLAB.
I'm thinking, after all one only needs non volatile storage at start up and shut down.
Would be self satisfied knowing I have the optimal data access solution and the gain over SSDs seems extremely significant in both current implementations and in potential.

I don't see the point in a RAIDR for your OS. Just grab a regular SSD, enough ram to hold a RAMdisk and a board that has included software for the RAMdisk and run your MATLAB stuff there.

I don't see the point in a RAIDR for your OS. Just grab a regular SSD, enough ram to hold a RAMdisk and a board that has included software for the RAMdisk and run your MATLAB stuff there.
Yeah. It's about the software. ...and... excuse my ignorance but there is more than one software that can do it?
I found a "Dataram RAMDISK". Is that it? Is it the one included in the RAIDR ASUS product?

Also, you mean it may come included with some boards as well? My intended ASUS board doesn't include it directly.

Thank you.

I'm sure there are several RAMdisk software vendors, sure (I would google "ramdisk software).

Some motherboards have the software to create a RAMdisk, yes. I would choose a board that has it included (ASUS Z87 Maximus gene/hero for example) personally unless you believe you need some advanced features that *may* come with a standalone software product...

Or Asrock boards support it well, and at a cheaper pricepoint it seems as it goes down most of their line versus ASUS is stuck in their overclocking line (which you don't need where you are overclocking).
http://www.asrock.com/feature/xfast/xfastram/index.asp

Thank you so much EarthDog.

This is kind of awkward... but I hadn't realized all the history behind the concept. LMAO
I never had until very recently the requirement.
Thanks for the pointers.

I'm still a little perplexed why RAM drives aren't more commonplace but I guess some work with loads of static data and don't have the speed req beyond SSD performance...

People simply do not need it, that is why. It really gives minimal gains to gamers and most users. So why pay a ton more for ram you wont use (among other concerns)? ;)

If you get enough system ram with windows 7 and 8 will precharge the hole program that you are using so you don't need RAMdisk software because it will all be in system ram.

Back