• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Lan Party advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well I'm getting married and my bachelor party is going to be a lanparty lol with the guys on wildstar early launch or at regular launch. Anyway I might have up to 10 people coming I'm just curious if we'd be ok with all connecting to my wireless to play? I got a comcast connection testing it I get 5 down and 10 up lol guessing some sort of issue with my net.

Anyway I'm curious if 5+ down will be enough for 5 to 10 of us to play online wired or wireless. Before I go through all the trouble setting everything up etc.

Last edited:
Depend's on the game. Some are much more demanding bandwidth wise than others. I would plan on having a backup game on standby that can actually be hosted over lan. and honestly I would pickup a cheap wired switch if possible.

I think the # of connections to may be the problem... it has nothing to do with the game. My router bogs down with the wireless after a few things are hooked up. I have 75/50 through verizon and with 7 connected devices, things slow down a bit (couple things streaming, other things just browsing, some just idle).

EDIT: If you have a switch that may be different story. I would go wired, btw.

I also hope there is some other, eh...entertainment there as well!!!

strippers and donkeys ftw!...
or just beer and games i suppose...
don't get married... its a trap.

p.s. dont use wireless it gets annoying and pinks start skyrocketing with lan parties i have guys use it at my lan parties sometimes but i have 3 different AP's for the to connect to if we need them but most everyone else is wired.

strippers and donkeys ftw!...
or just beer and games i suppose...
don't get married... its a trap.

Rofl 14 years and 3 kids lol little to late.

Ya I think I'll just have to run everyone wired. Have a feeling the wireless would bog down with everyone on it. d

quote from another forum on bandwidth usage.

It looks like the average people are quoting from other forums is between 200-240k per second. Another factor you need to keep in mind is that a single game patch could eat up a significant portion of that cap. Some of the patches from wow can be 1-4gb alone.
[–]Hitchaa 0 points 2 months ago
240k/s? That's a lot! I don't mind, I' on a 50 Mbit link. But with that kind of data usage, quite a few people might not have the bandwidth to play the game smoothly.
permalinkparent
[–]jasswolf 3 points 2 months ago
I'd say that's 200 kbits, which is actually 25 kbytes/s, as there are 8 bits in a byte.
That's still really high compared to a lot of standard MMOs, and I very much doubt that's anything more than a peak value in an instance/area with a lot of people at once.

Congrats and have fun with your bachelor party!

I agree with the others that wired will definitely be the way to go, I would also have a backup plan for lag reasons, that slow of a network split across 10 people would almost guaranteed be an issue. I would look into games that can be just played across the LAN

First off, Congrats!

But, you will more than likely run into issues with that kind of connection, unfortunately.
Id have a backup game or games of sorts.

Ten of us (from my area) have strained a 25mbit down 5mbit. It didnt get to be tooo much of an issue but when someone jumped on the wireless with their laptop and started to play COD:Ghosts with us, all of our pings went up. Switched them to wired and it was fine. But not all of us were playing Ghosts, some were playing WOW or other games.

It may also help, not only with everyone being wired as others have suggested, but a good router will go along way. I use an Untangle box, and it has never had any issues.
You could setup a small PFsense box or something and combine it with your switch.
It may help the load on your connection. Untangle works as well, but it can be picky about the hardware esp NICs.

We just recently started using a 24port Dlink gigabit switch, before hand we used a couple of Cisco 2900XL 24 port non-gigabit switches and outside of transfering files we had no issues when it came to games or internet in general.

Let us know how your LAN goes, technically wise, the other stuff you may not want to share with the world LOL.

Quake 3, LOL, that was played at the last LAN I went to, months ago. Personally, I'd rather play UT or UT2004. Decapitating someone in UT and then playing head football was always fun.

I hope the OP isn't planning on playing BF4 -- because that will require renting a remote server.

Can also hit one of StarCraft's Fastest Possible Map with NR20min and just smash the s*it out of each other.

Back