• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange PSU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dave101sport

hi guys and gals,
so before i changed my mobo (was a p6t se) i had my Lepa G1000w working fine. I upgraded my mobo to the current one and the PSU just clicks, fans do 1/4 turn and nothing. It is a modular psu. I put in my cheap xeon 850w and the system works fine. Ive sent the psu back to enermax 3 times and they just keep sending me another....now all 3 cant be doa. i even sent the cables but im not sure if they changed them, and when i called i may as well let my dog make the call because they could barely understand English (shock).

So im stumped and about to give up and waste $100+. any help or advice would be appreciated. ive checked to see if its compatible, it says it is. there cant be a bad earth or the cheap one which is non modular would not work. i also did the pin check and it works...im stumped

Bad cable, or you're mis-installing one somehow. Doubt they were ever checked.

clear your bios and inspect the cabling. in particular the 12v CPU cable.

sounds like a misfire due to cpu power issue if there's a quick power self test and no beep code.

or a bad ground leak somehow when the psu is installed.

(last time it happened to me I was stumped for best part of a day until I realised the case manufacturer had wired the case power on reversed)

Make sure you're using the correct cables in the correct places. Using a pcie cable for cpu power (or the other way around) will give you a direct short from 12v to ground. That's bad.

Back