• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k overclock voltage is varying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKessell

I haven't overclocked in some time; so I read up on current information and decided to re-overclock my system from stock.

Hardware:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
G.Skill 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Intel Core i5 2500K

I'm trying to use this:
Multiplier: 42
BLCK: 100
VCORE: 1.290

BIOS Screenshots:
xNzbsfE.jpg
2o3MtiJ.jpg
T7mxJky.jpg
X2HJR7C.jpg

My P95 HWMonitor/CPU-Z Results:
scjVyoa.jpg

I'm having these problems:
  • My HWMonitor VCORE is showing in two different places and two different values; one VCORE under my Mobo, and one VCORE under my actual CPU are reading different during a P95 test and idle. Which is technically correct?
  • Why are my voltages varying if I set it manually to 1.290?
  • I'm using an SSD for my build, I left my computer for about 2 hours, came back, the computer was ON, but it would not wake up by me pressing any keys. Any idea what that could be? I know it's not hibernating like the old HDD.

I'm at a loss for words here why my voltage is varying. I didn't have this issue when I first got the chips years back. Maybe it's just time for a new chip?

Thank you very much,
JKessell

Last edited:
Cpu voltage (what cpus says)

It's normal to see voltage vary abit.. how much variance?

Disable sleep/hibernation.

Last edited:
Try setting the CPU LLC in the Digi control area in bios to 5 and see if that stops. The board is most likely on Auto LLC and can over shoot the intended setting. Every board is different so you'll need to experiment a bit with it. I'm not sure what 5 will do on your board but it's middle ground. It'll take some tinkering and testing to get the right setting. But if you get it right you'll not vary much from the 1.29v setting you're after.

@EarthDog: Is that something that just normally happens if it's not turned off? I did some research and it's giving me examples like board issues and/or that's just the way it's been and will be, you have to turn off hibernation/sleep when OC'ing.

@Johan45: Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that. I was just concerned that my voltage in the programs was NOT showing what I told it to be. It made me concerned that I had something incorrectly chosen or not chosen. As long as you think 1.288 - 1.320 VCore when set to 1.290 in BIOS is OK variance, that's cool with me.

Do you think I should read the VCore from the Mobo "CPU VCORE" or the 2500k "Voltage VID"? The VID seems WAY too high; the CPU VCORE looks correct.

Thank you both for helping me out with this matter. I feel great to be back here :)

Llc prevents voltage drop. It is actually normal for Intel processors to drop volts on load... It's how they work. It's not until you overclock this drop can be a problem. Llc minimizes that vdrop.

Use the voltage found in cpuz.

It's normal for any CPU to drop voltage under load unless there is a built in offset (auto LLC). Load makes more heat and more heat increases resistance to the flow of electrons which is measured as voltage drop. That's why the readout in Windows is not going to be the same as what you set it to in bios, unless the LLC offset is spot on.

Yes, with an extreme setting on LLC, voltage will tend to go up under load, opposite to what the CPU wants. Can be good for overclocking in some cases, but probably not the best for the CPU.

Lately I've actually been using the offset method of setting the voltage and letting my CPU downclock when not under load. This way, at idle and web browsing, I'm only at .96v and 1.6 GHz to save a bit on power/heat (big in summer), but it bumps right up to 4.5 Ghz and 1.33v whenever I put a load on it. Have had no stability issues doing this.

Back