• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPUz vs. Zotac's firestorm utility: different clock speed readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm using Zotac's proprietary Firestorm utility to o'clock my GTX780. Let's say I set the core voltage to 1.212V, the core GPU clock to 1188 Mhz and the memory CLK to 1710 Mhz and have GPUz running. After I run a benchmark and check the highest readings of core GPU CLK and mem CLK, I get 4 different readings as to what it was:

GPUz reports a lower maximum GPU CLK than set (1175 Mhz), Firestorm reports the maximum GPU CLK as what my overclock was set to (1188 Mhz).

For the maximum memory CLK seen Firestorm reports 1755 Mhz and GPUz reports what my overclock was set to, 1710Mhz.

Both utilities report the maximum Vcore seen as 1.212V.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I never had discrepancies like this show up when I used to use ATI Tray Tools and GPUz to o'clock
my 6970.

Another thread...

Anyway, I have never used Zotac's software. I use GPUz and MSI AB with GPUz the most reliable as far as accuracy of clocks and voltages. You really need to be looking at the 'graphs' in GPUz to tell you actual boost clocks as it will vary from what is posted on the main page in GPUz.

Last edited:
ED, I was looking at the graphs page of GPUz. I selected show maximum clock (for the memory and core clocks) and show maximum voltage.
I tried using the latest version of MSI's AB, but it wouldn't allow me to manipulate the voltages at all (I was using the regular version, not the beta version).

Setting 'max' only shows the PEAK... if you had anything throttling, you wouldn't know it by using only that method.

EDIT: Get the latest version (beta) of MSI AB... the last non beta is OLD IIRC and likely doesn't support the voltage controller.

Last edited:
Back