• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win 7 "boot selection failed required device inaccessible"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

my computer today decided to be stupid and wont boot. getting the "boot selection failed required device inaccessible" 0xc000000e error. cant seem to figure out why this is happening cause I haven't messed with any of the drives. only thing I can think of is that this morning when I turned it off, I left a USB flash drive plugged in and its formatted for xbox360. with it plugged in or not it still gets the error. all my drives are detected in bios and in correct order. using a partition tool, I can see the partitions are fine, checkdisk with no errors. cant boot into safemode, Windows install disk cant fix the problem. unplugging all drives exept the boot disk doesn't change anything. what else is there to try?

Not too long ago (February I think), my computer seemed to lock up (Firefox was unresponsive, with the spinning green circle. Given what followed, I wish I had been a bit more patient to see if it might have snapped out of it), and I hit reset. Only it wouldn't load the OS, but would halt on that same error. It was on a Samsung SSD. I tried using a Repair disk, but was not able to access the drive. I reinstalled my OS to a conventional WD drive, and ended up using the manufacturers tools to diagnose the Samsung drive. After formatting it, it passed all tests, and I ended up reinstalling Win7 from a backed up image. It has been working fine ever since. I think the initial glitch was caused by a memory error, and I've since reduced my memory speed a little.

My experience was not good. Hopefully, someone on the forum has had a better experience, and knows of a more trouble free way out of your situation.

well I tried to delete the 100mb recovery partition and used the install disk to 'repair'. it said it successfully repaired it but it didn't change anything. now I cant run my partition tool anymore because it restarts when loading for some reason. man what a PITA this is

My situation was further complicate because my motherboard, an Asus P5Q Pro, would bump the SSD to the boot drive whenever it was plugged into one of the SATA ports, no matter how I tried to prevent it in the CMOS settings. I finally had to put it into a USB drive enclosure, and plug it in to a USB port after I reached the desktop in order to format and test it.

so I got the MBR back to where it detects windows again. but now im still at square 1 of getting this 'boot selection failed required device inaccessible' error.

another thing came to mind that I did yesterday was I installed Windows Media Center and connected it to my xbox360. so im wondering if that's the device not accessible. any ideas how I can undo that?

omg I fell sooooooooooooooooo stupid now. the hours ive spent trying to fix this problem, could have been fixed if I was smart enough to try 'last known good configuration'. I got it to boot no problem. but now I need to redo all my partitions the way I had them which shouldn't be too hard

problem is that my SSD suddenly stopped being detected in BIOS while I was trying to fix it. not sure why its not detecting but BIOS takes about a minute to try to identify it before it skips it. because it takes so long to try and detect it it makes me think its connected correctly but it has some other problem with it. plus ive disconnected and reconnected like 5 times now and still doesn't show up. tried different sata ports and different power connectors and no change

Last edited:
Back