• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Gtx 670 PE OC vs Gtx 770 to Replace 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainAngel13

Registered
Hello guys.

I've run into a decision I have to make and it has kept me awake for ages.
I can get an msi gtx 670 power editio OC for 200 euros used, or wait for a gtx 770(gigabyte/asus/msi) that will be had for around 240-250 euros.

I am playing at 1080p and won't be going any further. I have seen comparisons between them and it seems that the 770 gets around 10 frames more on most titles. Ofcourse I could OC the card a little more, but the 770 will OC further and give me the same FPS difference.

I really don't wanna spend much money, but I'm not sure if it would be a dumb decision to turn down the 770 to save 40 euros. I'm also looking for a futureproof card and I can see that even the 770 can't completely max out games like bf4 without dropping below 60 fps.

The thing is that I will be turning down any settings that make the game drop below 60 in any game where stability and accuracy matters.

So will the 770 give me the edge and allow me to have like one setting higher than the 670? Is it really future proof or a rebranded 680 that isn't worth the money?
And I guess the real question is, save 40 euros or get the 770?

Thank you.

So you think it's not worth taking the small performance hit to save 40 euros? Interesting. Any additional reasoning behind it?

Thanks for the answers.

You're looking at anywhere from 10-20% better performance from the 770.
It'll be better for higher resolutions than the 670.

You're looking at anywhere from 10-20% better performance from the 770.
It'll be better for higher resolutions than the 670.

Well this version of the 670 is as fast as the 680 right out of the box. So the performance difference is less than you would imagine.

Is it true that the 7xx series overclock better? Maybe that would make a proper difference.

I won't be going higher or lower than 1080p any time soon.

What are €40?...

You could also keep your 6950 and save €200.

The "performance hit is well worth €40 I guess:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/830?vs=829

Aren't you from the Netherland?

Well don't forget I can sell my card so it will cost me 100-140 depending on whether I get the 670 or 770.

No I'm from Greece.

I was able to push 1200MHz on air for gaming with my first 770. Never tried for more, as it wasn't needed for 1080p.
This 780 easily pushes 1150MHz for the same purposes. Haven't tried for more yet, and this is on 5760x1080.

Just remember, the 770 starts out a hair faster than a 680.
Add overclocking (probably more than a 670) and you're pulling away pretty well.

You'll get at 10-15% (if not more) from OCing the 770.
Couple that with it already being 10-20% faster than a 670, seems like a fairly easy choice.

Yes that's what I was thinking.

MAJOR UPDATE: I just found a Gigabyte Tri-force r9 280x for the same price as the 770 + bf4. Think I should go for it?

Last edited:
Game performance is pretty much a draw, especially at 1080p, for the 280X and 770.
But if you don't have BF4 already that would swing my choice to the 770.

Well don't forget I can sell my card so it will cost me 100-140 depending on whether I get the 670 or 770.

No I'm from Greece.

Lol, I have a buddy with the same nickname in Haarlem NL.

BTW, do you have a reference 6950? If yes, have you tried unlocking it? If it does unlock, you could get a bit more money when selling it.

I ment that the 280x actually comes with bf4 for the same price of a gtx770, so I'm thinking I can actually sell bf4 and save another 20 euros(i have little interest in playing it since bf3 was giving me massive connection problems), which means getting the card for an awesome price :p

My only issue is that nvidia comes with shadowplay and I do want to record gameplay. Nvidia says that it only does a 5-10% performance hit, which should be awesome. I'm not sure if I can record that smoothly if I go AMD+some other recording program.

Thanks for your help people.

GTX670 PE is pretty much fail. It heats up more than any other GTX670 as MSI set higher voltages than it supposed to for both core and memory. Max safe core voltage within nvidia specs is 1.25V and my card had up to 1.23V on stock ( measured with multimeter on the card directly as soft is not accurate ) while it supposed to run at 1.17V. Memory voltage was above safe values but MSI support still didn't care and said it's fine. Personally I don't care but it won't leave much OC headroom as card was hitting OCP/OVP after any overvoltage. To change voltages you need some old Afterburner version ( there is 1 or 2 versions supporting this card but both from last year ) as MSI didn't care to add voltage control to new version. There are also warranty stickers on cooling. Also coils were making annoying sound even louder than cooling itself. I sold this card pretty quick.

I would look for a promo price on the GTX780 and just grab something like ASUS DC2 which is in about the same price as reference cards and is also much faster than GTX770.
Depends from game/test GTX780 is up to 2x faster than GTX670.

I'd go with the 770. I bought the Palit Jetstream 2gb factory overclocked version that runs at 1150 core 7000 memory, out of the box. It replaced an AMD 7950 and it's at least 30% faster in all the games I play.

As your coming from a 6950 it should be even better.

I'm back guys I got the gigabyte gtx 770 in the end. I have a psu problem though which I will be posting about soon. Thank you all for the answers.

Make sure, when you post this new thread, that you list your system specifications as well. It is best for you to create a signature with that in it moving forward so its always there to see. ;)

Back