• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some feedback on this build i have made (0 experience pre build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingdrastic1

Registered
Hey guys, would love some feedback on this build. I have 0 experience before making anything so this si my first.
Any suggestions on things i can improve or adjust would be appreciated.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3orLl

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - cpu
Enermax ETS-T40-TB 86.7 CFM CPU Cooler - cpu cooler
Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - motherboard
Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - memory
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk - storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card -video card
EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply - power supply
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer - optical drive
I do get this message at the bottom though - (Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.)
Would like to fix this issue as i dont want any of my components running lower then they should do.
Total = £879.81
Budget is 1000 but i also need to buy a case so yh...

Looks solid... though I would get DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 @ 1.5v...

...no idea about that cooler. If you are not overclocking, go stock. If you plan to, get Hyper 212 EVO...

...SSD is a little long in the tooth. Look at Samsung 840 EVO or Vertex 460.

Looks solid... though I would get DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 @ 1.5v...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...te-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-135v

there are even 1.35V 1600Mhz cas 9 kits like this one. Gives you some OC headroom to get up to 1.5V if you feel like playing with it.

Case wise I like Corsair. They are the best designed cases I have built in. The 200R, 300R, 400R and 500R are some of my favorites. There are a lot of other options out there though. No need to spend more than $60 US (don't know what that translates to in GBP) on a case. If you have the budget for a really nice case though, it's a good thing to have.

I'd go with an NHD14 or NHD15 cooler personally. Gives you more OC headroom than a puny Hyper 212 (sorry Earth Dog :p).

Do you "need" a gtx 780? A 770 is considerably cheaper and does the same job for most users really... Just potentially a way to rearrange funds perhaps.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...te-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-135v

there are even 1.35V 1600Mhz cas 9 kits like this one. Gives you some OC headroom to get up to 1.5V if you feel like playing with it.

Case wise I like Corsair. They are the best designed cases I have built in. The 200R, 300R, 400R and 500R are some of my favorites. There are a lot of other options out there though. No need to spend more than $60 US (don't know what that translates to in GBP) on a case. If you have the budget for a really nice case though, it's a good thing to have.

I'd go with an NHD14 or NHD15 cooler personally. Gives you more OC headroom than a puny Hyper 212 (sorry Earth Dog :p).
lower voltage doesn't always mean more headroom.

not everyone needs a $70 aircooler...or wants to overclock to the cpus limit on air. If he does, those are great choices.

Do you "need" a gtx 780? A 770 is considerably cheaper and does the same job for most users really... Just potentially a way to rearrange funds perhaps.
fits in the budget... Easily it seems. I'd go 780 over 770 any day if I can afford it.

lower voltage doesn't always mean more headroom.

not everyone needs a $70 aircooler...or wants to overclock to the cpus limit on air. If he does, those are great choices.

fits in the budget... Easily it seems. I'd go 780 over 770 any day if I can afford it.

So should i go for the samsung 840 evo or is the one i currently have listed in my build good?
Also the DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 @ 1.5v...
Should i change to that or keep the one i currently have listed?
What do you mean it's a little long in the tooth? sorry i don't understand this :S
I will probably overclock at some point so i think i will get the evo 212 u suggested

Last edited:

Yh i don't care too much about the case as it doesn't really affect performance or anything like that. I only found a corsair 200r for £45, is that a good case for the price?
$60 is roughly £35 or close, i was going to spend like £50 on a case but if i can get a good one for cheap, that's what i'll be going for.
Getting 1.35v 1600 mhz will fit in the total voltage? so i wont get that message? or have it running lower then its intended to? does it perform the same as 1600 1.5 v? Also oc is better on 1.5v or how does that work?

Last edited:
I mentioned above: ...
SSD is a little long in the tooth. Look at Samsung 840 EVO or Vertex 460.

Which alludes to the fact that they are faster. You can also check the specifications too. ;)

You want 2x4GB of RAM not 1x8GB. That would only run in single channel.

Also, the Hyper 212 for haswell is pretty crap honestly. You won't get a very good overclock. Look into an NHD14 or NHD15.

Why no Windows 8? There is no point to being afraid of it or disliking it. It's not like it was with Windows Vista. We all knew 7 was around the corner and Vista was loaded with issues and was generally pathetic, so nobody bought it. Win 8 is a stable, intuitive operating system. Once you get used to it, it's just as easy to use (easier?) as Win 7.

Also, it is highly unlikely that Direct X 12 will be supported on Win 7. I'd bet money that it won't be.

You want 2x4GB of RAM not 1x8GB. That would only run in single channel.

Also, the Hyper 212 for haswell is pretty crap honestly. You won't get a very good overclock. Look into an NHD14 or NHD15.

Why no Windows 8? There is no point to being afraid of it or disliking it. It's not like it was with Windows Vista. We all knew 7 was around the corner and Vista was loaded with issues and was generally pathetic, so nobody bought it. Win 8 is a stable, intuitive operating system. Once you get used to it, it's just as easy to use (easier?) as Win 7.

Also, it is highly unlikely that Direct X 12 will be supported on Win 7. I'd bet money that it won't be.

The nhd 14 is 65 pounds compard to hyper 212 being 25, big differnece in money.
I'd like to keep it at 25ish since i will be needing the extra money for getting a monitor.
I'm not 100% i will overclock that hard and in for future i do i will make adjustments to the fan and might be one that's a lot better in future.
I prefer windows 7 tbh. I doubt they would keep direct x 12 limited to windows 8 as the number of people who use w7 is extremely high who also use direct x a lot. I could get windows 8 but i honestly prefer windows 7, i dont want to be usiong an old version of direct x in the future though, that would suck. is that confirmed or?
Also i changed it to 2x4 gb, however does it really matter or affect it negatively if it was 1x8?

I doubt they would keep direct x 12 limited to windows 8 as the number of people who use w7 is extremely high who also use direct x a lot.
They did it before... more or less... with Vista and DX10. XP doesn't support DX10...

Also i changed it to 2x4 gb, however does it really matter or affect it negatively if it was 1x8?
Yes. That is why it was mentioned.

Not a monitor guy. However I do know this question is asked juuuuuuuust about as much as 'building a new pc need help'. Take a look around the monitor section in threads asking the same exact question. :)

They did it before... more or less... with Vista and DX10. XP doesn't support DX10...

Yes. That is why it was mentioned.

XP= DX9
Vista= DX10
7= DX11
8=DX 11.2/DX 12

If you were microsoft and you were pushing Win 8, would you really want to make a new version of Direct X for an obsolescent OS? Of couse you wouldn't. Anybody who thinks DX 12 will be available on 7 hasn't kept up with the history of DX.

Back