• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Unbrick 4p H8QG6/I Based system Black Screen after Flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fullsys

Registered
:bang head:shrug: hi guys i have H8QG6/I running BIOS VR 3.0 stock with 4p 6272 and 32GB (4GBx8) Micron 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 Server RAM
Graphics 2X R9 290 msi
1TB HDD Run ubuntu and win sever 2012 R2
system ran fine using tpc decided that i wanted to OC it with bios flash i followed this guide (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677395&highlight=h8qgi) for windows all seemed fine but upon reboot all lights come on but screen is black no RAM beeps But i get a power beep if i only plug in 1 PUS this system has X2 modular 1400 psu i have tried the HOME +CTRL but not sure if I'm doing it correctly:cry: Thanks in advance

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0YjSbTxgc7QZ25lSmdua01YTzQ/edit?pli=1

Last edited:
The best advice at this time is to strip it down to bare minimum. If you can't get it to DOS then you can't re-flash the original bios assuming you copied it. You might be out of luck un led you can find a hardware failure somewhere.

"fullsys", I have not seen anyone in this forum section mention such a motherboard in over 2.5 years of monitoring the forum section daily.

Sometime ago out of curiostiy, I 'looked' at the mutiple cpu boards. The SM boards were at 12.5% overclock and never paid anymore attention until I saw your link to Hforum in your first post. The thread you linked would actually seem the more likely place to search releif from your incident. They afterall are the ones actually doing the bios research and setup for the SM series of motherboards.

I did google up one hit for site out of Usa (maybe others) that sell pre-flashed 8 pin SPI, 16MB bios rom chip for those mobos. Such a pre-flashed SPI rom might be your best method of recovery at this time.

For me it would just seem more/most reliable to make contact in thread in forum where they are doing all the legwork to generate those modded bios roms for the 4p boards.

There is an outside chance someone may see your thread with 'real' skills and I was searching for info for you since my curiosity was piqued but would admit in flash have no skills related to your predicament.

Good luck man. It did look like new life for F@H work unit output was greatly enhanced.
RGone...

thx RGone i am a member of that forum as well but cant seam to post have contacted the admin but no reply

How are you turning on the mobo? With a switch?

A few times my mobo failed to start even after a bios reset. I then disconnected every device including the power supply and memory, reset the bios, and removed the bios battery and left it for a few hours. I then connected only the PS, one stick of memory in each bank and a speaker and it booted up. I then added one device at a time and rebooted.

you could first try replacing the BIOS chip, because they will not replace the board without an original BIOS.

You need to look on that mobo for a clamshell like bios chip retainer with 8 pins coming from it. Often fairly near the CMOS battery and the CMOS clear pins. If that little clamshell bios chip holder is not there, then the bios chip is soldered on the mobo. Have to unsolder to change.
RGone...

i removed all components ant psu overnight cleared CMO Sand still no change hi and thanks i'm not sure if ti is a brick it do power up and even seams to be changing the fan speeds to prevent overheating but nothing more ill see if i can upload a vid sower and link it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0YjSbTxgc7QZ25lSmdua01YTzQ/edit?usp=sharing

Watched your video.

1. Don't insert ram while the green light is on. You don't know what has power at that point. If the slots do, you might damage your ram.

2. Shouldn't you have a CMOS battery? It looks like you don't.

Contact tear at [H], he is the expert at unbricking supermicro.

i sent him a pm waiting on a reply im hoping i can fix it by this weekend life is just not the same without my rig im looking tho build a new rig for C4D rendering what is the best bang for the buk

Back