• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ranting and venting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BachOn

I tried to download memtest this afternoon. Wanted to test out some DDR3 sticks. Went to the site that seems to be the authoritative place. Tried to download. Instead of getting the memtest software, they sent me some download management package that added four or five programs I didn't want. And it didn't even include memtest. It changed my startup page, and screwed up my browser connections. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Back in the dark ages when I wanted such software I would go to Tucows. It used to be reliable, virus and malware free. No more.

Can somebody recommend some decent place I can go to get shareware and freeware, such as memtest? I've just spent the last two hours trying to undo the damage this #@^% download did to my laptop.

I propose the death penalty for all purveyors of virus malware packages. And it should be by being kicked to death by all who have had their computers messed up.

BachOn

Make sure you click on the right thing...

...or go to the actual website for the software... works every time.

LOL @ signature...

I just downloaded it from majorgeeks, it's clean.

did you use a mirror from the top center of the page?

Attachments

• memtest.JPG
    memtest.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 106
I'm using Firefox on an old Windows XP machine. I did a Google search and was taken here.

http://www.memtest.org/

On the right there are two download buttons. I pressed the top one. And I got stuff I did not want. And I did NOT get memtest.

Perhaps I did something wrong at my end. But this should not be overly complex.

BO

I'm using Firefox on an old Windows XP machine. I did a Google search and was taken here.

On the right there are two download buttons. I pressed the top one. And I got stuff I did not want. And I did NOT get memtest.

BO

I see no buttons on the right UNTIL I turned off ad blocker ;)
You clicked on a dumb ad :(

Memtest.org will have USB bootable images if you need those :)

BO
Those are advertisements and are exactly why you got unwanted software. That is the correct web page to get the program from.

Exactly. Websites get a bit tricky on trying to get one to click on their advertising.

Paying more critical attention to where the actual DL is should help you moving forward.

we have seen a lot more of this the last few years, ad link looking just like the download link we want.
we also have to understand there is a cost to "free" software, it's a matter of who pays for it and how.

Or you could install adblocking software and forgo the issue entirely.

Back