• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Config Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Denyingchaos

Registered
Ok if you read my other posts, you will see I am FINALLY getting some decent cooling on Tuesday. So that means I am going to have plenty more noob questions I am hoping to get answered. This IS the best place so why ask anywhere else. (wipes the brown off nose).

But anyways first question.
I am going to be running 6 Yate Loon D12SH-124W 2 up front, 1 on bottom, 2 up tops and one in the rear. This will be going with the Akasa Venom Voodoo cooler. now I got an AWESOME thread pointed my way about fan direction and configuring that and I can't wait to try it out. BUT I ma curious. Seeing how my mobo has a built in fan controller persay, should i use that or go manual?

Second.
Based on the fans I choose, I plan on going Cooler on CPU 1 and 2, Front fans Split on one header, Top 2 split on another header and rear and bottom to thier own headers. Is this going to be ok? According to my math (which sucks) it should be under reccommended specs.

Third.
Can i just auto adjust my clocking or do I need ot follow a set of rules? After I make sure my cooling is goingto be up to par, I would like to run a constant 4.2 on my CPU if it will run under about 55 60 C. If not could you point me to the correct direction?

I beleive that is all for now thanks again for all the help previous and formost.

First, do not depend on "auto adjust" for overclocking. Generally, the auto overclocking tools in bios do not adjust enough variables to do a good job and for some reason they almost always underclock the RAM in the process of overclocking the CPU, which is not necessary.

Second, we cannot give you a set of plug and play numbers that will give you a ready made good overclock. Overclocking is very experimental and the values needed to give a good and successful overclock may vary considerably from system to system because of the synergistic interaction of particular components being used.

To start with, get prepared by doing four things:
1. Download and install "CPU-z," "HWMonitor," and "Prime95". CPU-z reports a lot of frequency settings for various hardware components. HWMonitor monitors running values for various voltages and temperatures. Prime95 is the stress testing tool that will heavily load your system to check for stability. These three tools are practically universal items among the overclocking community here.
2. Read the sticky: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663 in order to familiarize yourself with the terminology and the process. This was written for the Bulldozer but is quite applicable to the Vishera core CPUs as well.
3. When you get your new cooler, run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress test to check "package" and CPU socket temps at stock frequencies and voltages. This will give you an idea of how much overclocking headroom you may have from a temperature standpoint. Overclocking success hinges on staying within a certain temperature envelope as you manipulate voltages.
4. Learn how to attach images to your posts with the built in forum tool. To do this, use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories to crop, capture and save the screen images to disk. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. This will load the advanced post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest will be obvious. I suggest you try this now after running a 20 minute Prime95 blend test with the present cooler, just for practice. First open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open throughout the stress test. Don't close HWMonitor until you have captured the image and attached it to a post. Please crop the image first as we don't need to see your whole desktop. Not cropping the images also shrinks down the relevant part and can make the values hard to see. With the forum tool you can attach up to three images per post. If you want to add more you can do that by editing the post.

Last edited:
+1 to what Mr T said!

I will add, make sure of your voltage and amperage on the fans you're adding to the motherboard headers. You do risk frying the fan headers if you go over spec on them, I believe they are 1 amp on the Sabertooth but check it because I'm not 100% sure.

I will not say you cannot do it but is it wise to do it? I guess 10 or 12 years ago, make that a long time ago, a person asked me why I was trying to get a lot of power to my video cards and cpu and then throwing fan control and power onto the motherboard as another drain on my power on the board. That rung a bell with me and I have never powered fans from my motherboards since then. Not my motherboards that are overclocked.

DFI really brought that home to me when they put more than just 24 pin and cpu power pin on their boards and now many do so for their overclocking boards. Must be a need for higher power when overclocked. That was the nail in the coffin for case fans powered from my motherboards. But hey that is just me.

A fan controller allows me zone cooling in the case with more than one channel on my controllers.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
mr. trents said:
Overclocking success hinges on staying within a certain temperature envelope as you manipulate voltages.
That statement is the most concise made about overclocking. Get that down into one's psyche and overclocking becomes trial and error as it is and not black art.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
get a fan controler, that prevents any motherboard fan header damage and can be cheap.

overclock in the bios, you get a better balanced system for what YOU DO with your system.

oh, yea, what MR.T said.

Hmm, after taking all this in, looks like I have alot of work and study ahead of me, Ill check out some fan controllers before hand and see what I can find. Thanks for allthe suggestions. Its gonna be fun.

I have also used Sunbeam controllers and was pleased with them. They used to make a pretty mean high end cpu cooler, too, but I don't think it's in production anymore.

I will not say you cannot do it but is it wise to do it? I guess 10 or 12 years ago, make that a long time ago, a person asked me why I was trying to get a lot of power to my video cards and cpu and then throwing fan control and power onto the motherboard as another drain on my power on the board. That rung a bell with me and I have never powered fans from my motherboards since then. Not my motherboards that are overclocked.

DFI really brought that home to me when they put more than just 24 pin and cpu power pin on their boards and now many do so for their overclocking boards. Must be a need for higher power when overclocked. That was the nail in the coffin for case fans powered from my motherboards. But hey that is just me.

:thup:
Old school overclocking IS a dark art now.
The kids are spoiled with Intel's 'up the multi and vcore and you're good' method. They have no idea what we went through. :)

:thup:
Old school overclocking IS a dark art now.
The kids are spoiled with Intel's 'up the multi and vcore and you're good' method. They have no idea what we went through. :)

Closing pins on cpus for extra Mhz. Closing pins on cpus to unlock them or raise multiplier. 20 turn pots to adjust VDDR voltage to stabilize the ram at overclock. And only about 2 years before that it was solder on the mobo to get 5Mhz on Intel cpu. Hehehe.

Yep overclocking back then was certainly different and the burden fell completely on the overclocker. No use to holler RMA of a mobo that had extra solder all over it. Hehehe. That would be a shock to users today.

RGone...ster.

Back