• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About my MSI 990FXA-GD65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SjanaWilgani

Registered
First of all,

I would like to introduce myself as I'm new on these forums.
My name is Sjana, I'm 21 year old from England. I work as a head programmer at an Indie Game Company. In my spare time I like to practice Martial Arts, play games and watch Anime.

Here follows my question :)

So I got myself an MSI 990fxa-GD65 and an AMD FX-8150.
When I first got my Motherboard, I had quite some trouble with my CPU throttling down all the time, causing a serious performance loss. So I went into the BIOS, and unchecked all the power saving "features" in the hope to solve this problem. However, the problem remained. So I decided to flash the BIOS to the latest version. This pretty much made my PC unbootable, and I had to reinstall Windows 7. As a result my PC now boots way slower in AHCI mode than in IDE mode, and I have no idea why that is. Also, before the BIOS flash it booted in less than 7 seconds. From completely off to logged in. Now it takes about 20 seconds.

Another problem is that for some reason I can't set my CPU V to more than 1.45, but I managed to get it to 4.2GHz at 1.38 somehow.

Sorry for the terrible layout of my post, I really suck at forums posts.
My question is: Does anyone know why my PC boots slower in AHCI?

Yours,

Sjana.

It shouldn't boot slower in AHCI, that's weird.

I'll ask before the other do :)
Run Prime95 (blend will do for now)and get a screenshot of HWmonitor while Prime 95 runs.

To me, it might be a heat issue as that's what causes most throttling.

HWMonitor Screenshot

Hello, thanks for your reply.
Running Prime95 for 5 minutes in Blend gives these results in HWMonitor:

http://puu.sh/8MewN.png

If you want me to upload it elsewhere let me know :)

Yours,

Sjana.

Second HWMonitor screenshot

Ok so since my CPU temperature has been sitting at 53C for a good 10 minutes, after a total running time of 15 minutes, I don't think running it any longer will change anything.

Here is the second HWMonitor screenshot after 15 minutes:

HWMonitor1.png

Yours,

Sjana.

Way ahead of you :)

My case is already open :p
Besides, I put a new CPU cooler in, so the stock cooler temps don't apply here.

Yours.

Sjana.

Ah yes, the 53C is at 100% load. So since my CPU never goes over 70% load in any game, going over 61C is pretty much impossible.

My case is already open :p
Besides, I put a new CPU cooler in, so the stock cooler temps don't apply here.

Yours.

Sjana.
:thup:
Smart man!
Ah yes, the 53C is at 100% load. So since my CPU never goes over 70% load in any game, going over 61C is pretty much impossible.

Hmm....
Is your GPU overheating then? It too can and will throttle if it gets too hot.
You'd Need furmark for that. (Furmark is very hard on the GPU, so keep an eye on GPU temps!)

Sanja, two things I see that I do not like. First, off we do not see many Msi boards come through this forum running Fx processors mainly due to their issues with the VRM section on AMD motherboards. That said your TMPIN0 temp is from what I can gather the Socket temp and it is already about as high as you want to go. It may also be the cause if the throttling. Solutions to this are putting fans on the heatsinks on the VRM section and also the backside of the motherboard if your case has a cpu cutout hole. In addition you should list all of the components in the PC such as the case, how many fans, what you're cooling the cpu with, ambient temps etc.

EDIT:
You'd Need furmark for that. (Furmark is very hard on the GPU, so keep an eye on GPU temps!)
I would use the Unique heaven benchmark instead of Furmark.

Sanja, two things I see that I do not like. First, off we do not see many Msi boards come through this forum running Fx processors mainly due to their issues with the VRM section on AMD motherboards. That said your TMPIN0 temp is from what I can gather the Socket temp and it is already about as high as you want to go. It may also be the cause if the throttling. Solutions to this are putting fans on the heatsinks on the VRM section and also the backside of the motherboard if your case has a cpu cutout hole. In addition you should list all of the components in the PC such as the case, how many fans, what you're cooling the cpu with, ambient temps etc.

EDIT: I would use the Unique heaven benchmark instead of Furmark.

Ahh!

Thanks Mandrake.
Forgot about heaven

Furmark is just unnecessarily too stressful, heaven is more realistic. I find if my gpu can pass heaven if overclocking and or just temp checking it will run any game I throw at it.

Yes I have heard about the problems between MSI boards and the FX series. I'm planning on getting a new board sometime. Recommendations welcome ! No I'm not getting the Sabertooth :).
About the components in my PC:
GPUs: 1x Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950. 1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7950. Sapphire @ 975 MHz, the Gigabyte downclocked to that.
RAM: 4x4 GB G.Skill 1333 MHz DDR3 CL9.
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 with 1x 120mm fan on top blowing out, 1x 120mm fan in the back sucking in, 1x 120mm fan in the front sucking in.
Case is open. GPU temps don't go above 60C.
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. To be honest I expect more from this CPU Cooler... Anyway I'll try to put in additional fans since I still have some good ones laying around. I will also downclock my CPU to 4 GHz without AMD Boost. See if that helps.

Yours,

Sjana.

You should have a read of this overclocking guide.
The CM 212 is a good heatsink, unfortunately the Fx 8XXX cpu's create a lot of heat, especially when overclocked.

One other issue, because you have the case door open your are limiting the airflow over the motherboard heatsinks, you may find the heatsinks stay cooler with the door closed.

Recommendations welcome ! No I'm not getting the Sabertooth .
If you want a motherboard that we know works on these Fx 6/8 series cpu's the Sabertooth is the go to board!

I shouldn't have tried that overclock guide on this motherboard.... at the same time I Knew my CPU was a dud.... and yet I tried it. Now I'm going to have to get a new CPU because even on stock settings everything BSOD's....

I'd bet my rig it's not the CPU. I have that Same mobo on another rig and it struggles with an FX6200. Your BSOD ' S are caused by unstable setting, not a bad CPU.

Ah I forgot to mention that I even keep getting BSOD's on stock settings now.
Which absolutely shouldn't happen. Also, fps drops every 10 seconds.

Back