• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 OC Boot Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bellcheese

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm having a small quirk/issue with my new FX 6300 build and wondering if you could lend your expertise.

Firstly, the build:

FX 6300 @ 4.6ghz using multiplier ( NB @ 2200 & HT @ 2600)
Gigabyte 970a UD3P mobo
2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (1.5v with 8-9-8-24 tweaked timings)
Silverstone SST-AR01 Argon CPU Cooler
MSI Twin Frozr 2G R9 270X
EVGA 500W B PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
WD Blue 1TB (bought this few days ago, issue was before this)

The Problem:

When I boot my PC it will power on briefly, the fans 'spin up' then it powers down for roughly 1-2 seconds then boots up again normally. I'm a little curious as to why it is doing this, in fact the only way it will boot first time is with factory default bios settings. I've tried reducing the overclock, keeping the HT and NB at default, leaving the ram at default and even running the ram at 1333mhz. I've tried overvolting, undervolting, changing power saving options (disable and enable various ones). I just can't seem to work out what the issue is.

Here is a screenshot of my CPU ID and HWINFO in case it offers any insight:

0Dw2zzN.png

Thanks for any help you can offer, it's slowly but surely driving me mad.

It sounds like the motherboard does not like some setting. When you downclock the ram are you still doing the "tighten-up"?

If I had another kit of ram, I might try it but for sure you need to see if that ram at whatever the board sets it to by "default" will let you up the clock without the double boot and it maybe that there is nothing you can do about it with that board. Giga has done some crazy shett here lately to their users.
RGone...

When I downclocked the RAM I let it default the clocks to 9-9-9-24, same issue. With the overclock running, I never pass 54c on the socket in HWinfo and I left prime95 for a good few hours earlier just to reassure myself that the overclock was fine. On top of that I played BF4 for around three hours straight last night and not a single hiccup, everythings great.

It's just frustrating, seems silly I know - I mean my PC works fine, everything's great except a small boot loop but I'm the sort of guy who will spend hours trying to fix something until it's perfect haha. I think I'm starting to regret not sticking with ASUS. Oh well.

This was happening to me the other day and I realized I had put the CMOS Clear jumper onto the pins of the USB header right behind to the CMOS Clear pin block. The room was kind of dark and didn't notice my error until I happened to shed light on the situation with a flashlight. I had to laugh at myself. Make sure the CMOS Clear jumper is in the default position.

This was happening to me the other day and I realized I had put the CMOS Clear jumper onto the pins of the USB header right behind to the CMOS Clear pin block. The room was kind of dark and didn't notice my error until I happened to shed light on the situation with a flashlight. I had to laugh at myself. Make sure the CMOS Clear jumper is in the default position.

Haha, well I'll check but when I built it the other week I didn't even touch that as far I recall. Work a look though, cheers.

OK, so I checked to see if I had put the CMOS jumper in the wrong place and can confirm I wasn't that stupid haha. I have a Corsair SPEC 01 case and for the most part the front panel cables are grouped and almost impossible for me to screw up, thankfully.

Any other suggestions? It's slowly driving me insane.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I have read that although annoying this is pretty common with Gigabyte boards.

Gigabyte 970a-ud3p starts to boot then seems shutdown then start again finish booting

IF I g00gle for that exact word sequence I find the two threads below.

No Answer found that I could see.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2049689/computer-turns-turns-turns.html
On Off On Again my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+, my PC is only a few days old too.

Not sure he ever really found fix although he seemed in the end to get it going. Too much guessing in the thread for real FIX to be seen.
http://www.technibble.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-53145.html
Gigabyte 970a-ud3p motherboard
Only question I have is when I press the power button, the fans and lights turn on for about 2 seconds, the computer actually turns off. If you listen, you can actually hear the power from the power supply/case actually click like the power button is being pressed, the computer like I said goes completely off. All fans spin down and computer seems off, but then you hear the click again as though you'd just pressed the power button again, and it boots. It appears rock solid stable, will run for hours doing updates, will endure stress tests with no overheating, things seem fine.

computer starts to boot then seems shutdown then start again finish booting

lF I use that sequence of search terms above in g00gle...no threads seem to appear. That would make it seem is Gigabyte 970a-ud3p problem.

RGone...

I have read that although annoying this is pretty common with Gigabyte boards.

You're kidding me? How can it be left in a state where it's 'common'? Sigh. Do you know whether I'd be entitled to return the board for a full refund, it's within 30 days but I'm not sure what their policy is... maybe someone here knows? If it matters I'm based in the UK.

Thanks for the response though Johan.

Yer, I think your deduction is the most probable one RGone. I think my only option is as per my previous post and check their returns policy or live with it.

Thanks for all your help though, nice community and very helpful to a newcomer.

You're kidding me? How can it be left in a state where it's 'common'? Sigh.

Gigabyte 970a-ud3p << That board supposedly replaces the Gigabyte 970a-ud3 boards that came in at least 4 Revs. The original board in Rev 3.0 was such a POS that many in here got rid of it. Then they came with Rev 4.0 which seemed somewhat OK again for FX processors then about 4 or 5 mos ago it seemed to disappear to be replaced by the Gigabyte 970a-ud3p and actually I do not remember but a couple of those coming thru here and they were also a pain.

Giga seems to be just pooping all over their FX overclocking customers on their cheap entry level mobos.

I would certainly get in touch with seller and RMA as defective and get some other brand and not the cheapest of another brand or you again will have issues if you decide to really PUSH an FX processor.
RGone...

EDIT:
OR put up with the double-boot to organize itself at startup since you say it works okay afterwards.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Well I thought this mobo would be decent, it wasn't the cheapest - certainly didn't seem bottom of the barrel or anything. I chose it due to the power phase, seemed it SHOULD be a good overclocking board. The overclock itself is fine, it's just this damn boot thing. I could change it to a 990fx board but I have no interest in changing to an 8xxx core cpu as I pretty much just game on this and the FX 6300 is more than fine for it.

ASUS M5A99x/990Fx pro are pretty darn good boards for the Fx 6300 and if you wanted to OC you could probably get 4.5 ish on a decent Air heatsink with one. I own a M5A99X Evo and it's a great board, it just didn't have to guts to push my 8350 as far as I wanted, ie to the moon!

ASUS M5A99x/990Fx pro are pretty darn good boards for the Fx 6300 and if you wanted to OC you could probably get 4.5 ish on a decent Air heatsink with one. I own a M5A99X Evo and it's a great board, it just didn't have to guts to push my 8350 as far as I wanted, ie to the moon!

Thanks for the reply, I under what you're saying but when I bought the FX 6300 I had 'budget' in mind. I'm very reluctant to step up to the 990fx tier due to the cost, at that point I could of gone with a non-K i5 and cheaper motherboard if you understand my point.

It's currently at 4.6ghz with no instability issues and certainly no heat issues so I was desperately looking for the solution as everything else is perfect and working as expected/hoped. However, as people have made clear the issue seems to lie in the brand of the board and thus probably not one I can fix. Either way I've contacted Gigabyte UK support via email requesting help/knowledge on the situation. God knows how long they'll take to respond but I'll wait out for that and take it from there, if there is nothing they can do I will just refund it with Amazon (they're amazingly lenient with these things) and go with the i5 route which kind of sucks because I really prefer AMD, brand loyalty 'en all.

Thanks for the reply, I under what you're saying but when I bought the FX 6300 I had 'budget' in mind. I'm very reluctant to step up to the 990fx tier due to the cost, at that point I could of gone with a non-K i5 and cheaper motherboard if you understand my point.

It's currently at 4.6ghz with no instability issues and certainly no heat issues so I was desperately looking for the solution as everything else is perfect and working as expected/hoped. However, as people have made clear the issue seems to lie in the brand of the board and thus probably not one I can fix. Either way I've contacted Gigabyte UK support via email requesting help/knowledge on the situation. God knows how long they'll take to respond but I'll wait out for that and take it from there, if there is nothing they can do I will just refund it with Amazon (they're amazingly lenient with these things) and go with the i5 route which kind of sucks because I really prefer AMD, brand loyalty 'en all.
Sorry Bellcheese, when I read this quote " I could change it to a 990fx board but I have no interest in changing to an 8xxx core cpu as I pretty much just game on this and the FX 6300 is more than fine for it. " I thought you were going to look for another board for it, hence the above post, :D. I hear ya about spending the money on a 990fx board or going i 5. All I can say is I have a 4770k, 2500k, 955be and the Fx in my sig and I find my AMD rigs more fun to OC. If you don't plan on overclocking it's a moot point. Good Luck!

Yer I could of worded it better, it's not that I'm 100% against it, it's just that it defeats my initial point of the build. I've just been in contact with Gigabyte support and the guy was generally pretty useless and spoke very broken English but he stated that the boot loop was "normal for initializing overclock". I'm not sure whether he's right or not but I've never had this with another motherboard and don't know whether he's just trying to get rid of me as a problem customer.

Yer I could of worded it better, it's not that I'm 100% against it, it's just that it defeats my initial point of the build. I've just been in contact with Gigabyte support and the guy was generally pretty useless and spoke very broken English but he stated that the boot loop was "normal for initializing overclock". I'm not sure whether he's right or not but I've never had this with another motherboard and don't know whether he's just trying to get rid of me as a problem customer.

Does it do it when it's not overclocked and does it do it only after you set the overclock? Meaning if you set it to 4.6 like you said above then boot, it will do what you explained above but after that, when shut down does it continue to do it everytime you go to reboot or will it boot normally?

Reason I ask is my ASUS Maximus IV hero board with my 4770k does the boot shut down boot dance when I first set an overclock but will boot normally after, as long as the overclock settings are kept the same.

It doesn't do it when it's not overclocked, for instance I reset BIOS to default settings and it boots fine... no boot loop. Second I overclock/change anything it does this stupid boot loop and it does it EVERY time I boot heh. When I shut it down it does so normally, upon next boot and every boot after that it will still do this boot cycle, only way to stop it is by defaulting the bios settings.

Perhaps I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but I really don't see why the motherboard should or does need to power on to apply the bios settings, shut down for a few seconds then boot as normal with my overclock.

Edit: Could this be anything to do with the CMOS battery perhaps being low? It's a new motherboard but I've experienced the power cycling years ago with an i3, turned out it was just the CMOS that needed replacing. However, with that it wouldn't even pass the boot logo.

Perhaps I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but I really don't see why the motherboard should or does need to power on to apply the bios settings, shut down for a few seconds then boot as normal with my overclock.
Don't know either, as I said my Maximus Hero does it, but only once and will boot fine after, as long as I leave the overclock settings the same. I just had a thought and I'm just thinking out loud but maybe try replacing the CMOS battery. I don't ewven know if it would cause an issue like this if it went bad but for a couple of bucks it may be worth it. IDK. Maybe when RGone pops up he may know why it does the boot dance.

Don't know either, as I said my Maximus Hero does it, but only once and will boot fine after, as long as I leave the overclock settings the same. I just had a thought and I'm just thinking out loud but maybe try replacing the CMOS battery. I don't ewven know if it would cause an issue like this if it went bad but for a couple of bucks it may be worth it. IDK. Maybe when RGone pops up he may know why it does the boot dance.

Yer I think we both had the same brain wave, I just edited my comment before questioning whether it was the battery. I think that will be my next test, now to get a battery :bang head

Back