• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

11.6" ASUS laptop: HOT-cooking itself - what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m715

I've got an ASUS S200E 11.6" i3 Laptop, in general I really like it, great size, decent construction, but it is trying to COOK itself. From the start it’s run hot, unfortunately it got worse, till the point it was hitting mid 90C, and throttling from 1800 MHz to 798 MHz doing simple tasks :eh?:

Cliffnote version is I basically haven't used the laptop since February, with school I've been busy and don’t have a lot of time to deal with it and ASUS. The laptop has been cleaned, factory reset 2 going on 3 times; mailed in 2, going on 3 times for service. 1st time came back slightly improved, 2nd time it is still hot, 3rd time…

At this point what should I do if comes back a 3rd time trying to cook itself
Am I asking too much to be able to stream Hulu to a TV without hitting 90C and throttling?
Is mid-80C and throttling to 900-1200 MHz acceptable when trying to do anything mildly intensive?

I posted a bit over a year ago the laptop ran hot when I first got it:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729905

DETAILED CHRONOLOGY:
(log mostly for myself to keep track)
~02/01/14 - shifted all my files to a loaner laptop
02/15/14 - Called ASUS: re-stored system to default WIN8, updated bios, tested, didn't help temperatures
02/18/14 - Called ASUS: their RMA database was down, call back tomorrow
02/19/14 - Called ASUS: they sent RMA directions
02/21/14 - Shipped back to ASUS at my cost
03/05/14 - Received laptop back from ASUS
- papers indicated they replaced the CPU heat sink and fan assembly
- returned with the bottom scratched up :(
03/12/14 - Called ASUS back; laptop still runs hot and throttles, they asked to restore WIN8 back to factory settings again, and see if problem persists
03/17/14 - Called back confirmed there is a 3 month warranty on the repair work, they recommended to use the laptop to allow the thermal paste to cure...
04/01/14 - Systems down can't look up any information, suggested to update the bios and try again
- laptop was running 79-85C with IE open with 1 tab, mild throttling would start around 84/85C
- I gave up for a while, traveled to conference and busy with school
05/02/14 - Called ASUS: issued an RMA # and shipping label
05/05/14 - Shipped back to ASUS
05/13/14 - Received laptop back
- poorly packed, box damaged hole in box put a decent scratch on the bottom of the laptop, doesn't look like its any more than that
- papers indicated: symptom: power on and LCD display error; repair: replace X2002E MA_BD.4G/I3-3217U/U3/A ???
- keyboard and screen covered with dandruff and eyelashes :screwy:
- initial tests still runs hot and throttles
05/13/14 – Called ASUS, said it was running hot, they said send it back, gave me an RMA and ship label
- they said they had replaced the motherboard and maybe the CPU with this last repair
05/14/14 – Shipped it back to ASUS again
05/19/14 - FedEx tracking shows ASUS received laptop
05/23/14 - no updates with ASUS online tracking
05/28/14 - RMA database is down, please try again later
05/29/14 - "database" having issues call back later; got through at lunchtime later, they claim to have sent a repair authorization email with required charges for the repairs: $75 for motherboard & $50 for labor. I never got the email, they resent, I received, I then asked the phone tech, shouldn't this be covered because they just replaced the motherboard, they said yes and to contact the repair facility.
- I called the 1-800 # in the repair email but it just sent me back to regular tech, they then said the repair facility can only be contacted by email, what a waste of 1.5+ hours :mad:

Last edited:
Back