• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha Pal8045U nylon hex nut help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kent

I stripped one of the nylon hex nuts when mounting the sink. DOH!!! The other three are tight, but I know the fourth is stripped out. I've always had a bad habit of tightning things toooooooooo tight. :( Is there some place I can get some more? Local computer store maybe??? I thought I would just replace them all and of course, be more careful this time. Do I really need to replace it? Thanks, Kent :)

You could try a drop of super glue in the nylon thread then tighten up the screw after about 2 mins (just as the glue is going off) this should hold under normal working conditons.
If you ever wanted to remove it the force of a screwdriver should shift it.

Acko

Thanks. I may try that. When I put the nylon nuts on I hand tightened them and then snugged them down, but I must have turned the last one too much. Is hand tight good enough on this sink? I noticed that when I tightned the sink itself to the standoffs, the standoffs starting turning, so that's when I quit. Is this correct or not? Thanks, Kent :)

Just send an email to Alpha: when I purchased my PAL8045, I got it from Plycon.

It was missing one standoff and one of the nylon nuts was not threaded - it was literally smooth-bored. I wrote to both Plycon and Alpha and within a week, I had TWO complete packs of installation hardware. Oops!

Both get my vote for excellent service...!

Alpha's USA contact is: [email protected]

Plycon (in case you bought your's from there...) is:

[email protected]

Good luck!

I put a dab of super glue on the underside of the nylon nuts anyway to stop them turning. This is especially helpful if you decide to up-grade your cpu at a later date as the nuts won`t fall off when you remove the heatsink/fan assy. Otherwise you would have to remove the whole mobo again, if you know what I mean

Acko

I removed my Alpha Pal 8045 to test a water block. When I put the Alpha Pal back on, the temps were way higher than before I removed it. Took the Alpha back off, and checked the imprint of the cpu die in the Artic Silver. The imprint was not a perfect rectangle. Tried it again, same results. I had some extra nylon nuts I bought at Lowes. So, I took the screws without anything on them, and threaded on a nylon nut all the way to the top, right up to the head of the screw. Then I put on one of the nylon washers, the spring, and then another nylon washer. Then reinstalled the Alpha. Temps were now back to normal.

Moral of this story. Evidently, the springs must have weakened from being compressed for two months. When I disturbed the contact, the springs were no longer strong enough to give good pressure on the CPU. Installing the nylon nuts compressed the springs more, giving more pressure on the cpu core.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case someone else runs across this.

Pudge

Back