• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRMs and PCH cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I will be running my CPU under phase change and will probably be running higher than normal volts. Should I water cool the VRMs and PCH or at least the VRMs since the PCH has nothing to do with the CPU. The PCH and VRM fittings are right next to the evaporator.

If I do water cool the PCH and VRM's plus my two 780 TI's, will a 360 rad be good enough. I had a 480 installed, but it eats up two 5 1/4" spaces and my res takes another two. I only have 4.

imho a 360 will be tight , depending on which 360 you might need to run a LOT of air through it , which will be noisy. An alphacool monsta (80mm thick) with some serious fans (120x120x38) in push/pull would be the best choice.
Now, since afaik phase isn't exactly an example of silence, i guess that *some* noise from the WC parts wont bother you :)

i am currently using a swiftech XP 120.4 with push pull 1450rpm fans for two 290s and a 4670k. Full gpu load with heaven 4.0, my water temp is less than 10 degrees above the air going into the rad. For just the two 780tis, you can easily get away with a 360, even with medium speed fans.

but not if you add the VRMs to it
if OP is really going to push it, you're looking at at least 50-60 °C from the VRMs

Looking at at least 50-60c what? Them running at 50-60c? running 50-60c higher than stock? I mean, realistically, you are talking about high single digit temp changes going from a 120.3 with medium fans to a pair of 120.3s with medium fans. And i doubt the VRMs will be within ten degrees of exploding on a single 120.3, probably more like 40-50 degrees away from the danger zone.

because.. a 780TI at full load churns through 250 Watts and would hit 80°C on air.
with two of them you are looking at 500 Watts to dissipate in worst case scenario

For the MB VRMs, unless you KNOW the mosfets can "take" 120°C before popping, it is best to keep them operating below 70°C, preferably much lower.

So you really want to keep your loop temps as low as possible, definitely below what the VRMs will/can add to the loop. (VRM waterblocks are relative small and are not made out of Ub120 so they need the water to be as cool as possible to be somewhat efficient in thermal transfer)

In short, you are looking at +500 watts to dissipate which *can* be done with an 120.3 , eg something like an UT60 with fans at +2000 RPM might be able to keep that loop at ambient +20°C. But if there is high ambient to start with and some upward creep in the loop you might get close to VRM danger zone...
not to mention the wall of sound :)

I'ld go for the 80mm thick 120.3 monsta in push/pull to have that little more headroom

-actually, i'ld go for a MORA or Phobya NOVA- as i think there is nothing wrong with over dimensioning raddage. Better have it and not need it than needing it and not having it. :)

Last edited:
Lacking a chip/chipset/motherboard designation I'm going to guess that this is X79. I would water cool the MOSFETs. X79 has rather large issues with them exploding, and I'm assuming with phase you're going to be running rather more vcore than stock.

Of course I',m insulating. :) I had everything in the case, including the watercooling of the 780 TI's, PCH, VRM's and the evaporator on the 4930 and found out the phase didn't work. First, they didn't install the starting capacitor and after installing it, it still didn't work. He sent me a new controller and that did the job on the phase. I went to boot and was getting a code 34 error. I stripped everything out and it turned out to be my using an HDMI cable instead of a DVI to see hit F1 to continue.

Thanks for the input guys. If I will w/c the VRM's, I may as well cool the PCH too. I have a 360 and 480 XSPC RX. I may stick with the 480 since I will be using Gentle Typhoons at 1850.

What is surprising is the phase change is very quiet. You can hear it start like an air conditioner, but while running it's just a small hum. Not connected, it hits about -50c and guaranteed to hold 300w at -30c.

Back