• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on making a 775 mount for this block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

Maybe someone can help identify what block this is - got it probably around 10 years ago. I think it was cooling an athlon (barton) processor. From the thermal paste imprint residue it was directly on the die.

I need a template of the 775 mounting setup to try to design a mounting plate unless anyone knows of an inexpensive plate that might work. Otherwise i'm just going to make a template of the mounting holes and make a plate that has cutouts for the barbs.

Suggestions on plate material, mounting pressure (springs) and any links to an accurate template of the 775 mounting holes I can work off of would be super helpful.

Attachments

• waterblock.jpg
    waterblock.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 76
I would just order a swiftech 775 backplate ( or another brands backplate) because you will want a backplate for how much mounting pressure cpus with heat spreaders like. And then you can just cut a square of plexi and mount it to the block, put four 6/32 3" standoffs (available at Lowe's for like a buck each) into the backplate and use that to mark holes in the plexi.

That's how I would do it anyway. If for some reason I wasn't willing to just pick up a cheap used newer design block for 25-30$.

That's an old DD block. Don't use that for 775. It's no where near good enough. Decent air will be better than that. Find yourself a decent used block for 775. They're dime a dozen.

That's an old DD block. Don't use that for 775. It's no where near good enough. Decent air will be better than that. Find yourself a decent used block for 775. They're dime a dozen.

While finding a used 775 block is probably worth avoiding the hassle and cost of making a plate, what would make this not good enough? My current cpu has a lower thermal output than the cpu I used to cool with it and that one had a much smaller contact area (no heatspreader on the die).

That block doesnt have a lot of surface area for the water to touch the copper, relative to more modern pinned or micro channeled blocks. And you are greatly overestimating the cooling value of a heat spreader. There is a reason EK sells a naked mounting kit for people who have delidded ivy/haswell processors and dont want to put the ihs back on.

At the end of the day its not that that block was bad for its time, and it was certainly better than air cooling of the same time frame, but cooling has come a long long way in the last ten years. With multiple heatpipes and having the heatpipes make direct contact with the ihs, modern air cooling is just better than old water cooling, so you get more performance with none of the water cooling risks.

I used one similar like that on my 8400 designed for NB, it did OK but as others have stated, there are better options.

If your going to overclock bypass that one.

I used a funky universal mount for some old HS and it bolted up just fine, most anything can be fabbed up if you really need to use it

Back