• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 EV0 in RAID 0 big performance increase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi,

I have a Samsung 840 EVO 500 gb. Would I get a performance increase if I added a second one in RAID 0? They're on sale this memorial day. I have a Z97 and I read Intel supports TRIM for SSDs in a RAID now. I read different forums where some people say it's worth it and other people say it's not. I already have 2 x 3 GB WDs in RAID 0. Thanks.

David

It depends on what performance you are looking for. Do you regularly work with very large files in encoding etc? If so it may be helpful. If you just game and do basic usage I doubt you would notice anything

RAID0 will increase almost only sequential transfers ( up to 100% ) but I don't think you really need it. Better is probably to use Samsung soft to additionally cache that one drive and you get similar max transfers ( up to 100% higher ) but it will also add some performance to random transfers.
90% operations on SSD in daily usage are random transfers and mainly read. Sequential transfers are used mainly when you are moving a lot of large files.

Thanks for all the advice and information. I guess I should hold off on getting the second drive. I mainly use my pc for games. I wish Samsung would allow rapid mode on Raid 0. Maybe it's technically not possible.

Hi, also you can't use EVO Rapid Mode in RAID 0. The Samsung software will not recognize the drive. I got around this when I was playing EVO Raid 0 by using third party software like RapidCache. Good luck!

Back