• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

ok im thinking
I have lan partys
Im thinking can I build a Game Server?
IE Run say 8 Age of empires 2 on a Server and have it do the "work" and send though GigEthernet to 8 lower end PCs?

(note Ages 2 is a example Games would in could things like star trek fleet ops, Civ 4 and ages 2 :D )
note I see that Steam has something like this but I want 1 server to serve 8 users/games
(also all my Lan games are not Steam games)

What questions do you have. Its possible to use connect to a game server sure. If the game has the ability to 'host' itself or connect P2P as some do, I would go that route for those games.

my main goal is to have some or all of my games ran off a server and set though lan to laptops and lower end PCs to "play" the games
example
I want to host a Civ 4 party
i want all players to run the game off the server and sent back to their PCs in another part of the house and play together

i am unsure what has to be done in order to make this happen, do i need a GPU per game instances? or with a high end GPU hold a few games? do i have to open the games in 8 different user accounts or can they be run on one? do i have to run these is a hyper V session?

Well I believe multiple games have a dedicated server application available in steam. Even with that the other people will also need to have the program installed and likely with multiple licenses.

I would say it depends on how hosting works, if you don't plan to play from the server as well most would run in a command prompt window type thing. If you plan to play at the same time I wouldn't bet to run anything else at the same time. Civ is pretty cpu intensive so that one may be more difficult than the rest.

well I will be using a dual CPU 12 core for a total of 24 if I go along with this I should be ok (and if I have to I may run a few off normaly)
and I have multiple copys of Civ 4 etc... however they are not on steam

I believe he wants to stream games, correct? not so much setup "game servers" in the traditional sense.

So you essentially want the server doing all the processing, not just being the game host? And you want multiple instances of a specific game to be running on the server, and then the visuals just being offload to essentially terminals? I've never heard of that working in a home LAN. Generally you have a copy of the software installed on each computer in the LAN, and then the game server you connect to handles all the traffic.

So you essentially want the server doing all the processing, not just being the game host? And you want multiple instances of a specific game to be running on the server, and then the visuals just being offload to essentially terminals? I've never heard of that working in a home LAN. Generally you have a copy of the software installed on each computer in the LAN, and then the game server you connect to handles all the traffic.

Same. Almost sounds like a thinclient type setup, which I've never seen done for a basic lan party.

Wasn't there a copy of Ubuntu Server that could do something like that, or am I mistaken?

you are right O master Yoda
however I now I some Ideas to pass around
after researching Steam In-Home Streaming this works with Steam games (duh) and some claim works with nonsteam games through "add a non-steam game" feature in steam
and my other idea is Teamviewer
I will post more as I learn more on this

Back