• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

excessive boot time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uglykidmoe

Registered
under normal circumstances takes between 15 and 20 seconds to post, from turning on to desktop.

last 3 or 4 times i've booted up the same process has taken close to 5 minutes, hangs on boot device led.

once boot is complete pc seems to run fine.

the os drive (crucial 256g m4) and storage drives (2x wd 600g raptors) are ok according to wd's data lifeguard diagnostic tool.

the bios retains changes to it's default values.

so the ssd is connected thru the sata6g_e1 (or e2) port, don't know which, neither of which shows up in the bios menu in "sata configuration" under the "advanced" menu tab. the other 6 ports sata6g_1 & 2, sata3g_1 thru 4 are prresent and show the drives (2 hd's, 1 disc drv) in the appropriate places.

not much info to go on, but anyone have any ideas? system is about 6 months old, never oc'd and is the sabertooth pc is in the sig below.

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
did you change anything right before it started taking 5 minutes to boot? any hardware changes? or move the sata cable for the boot drive to a different port?

thanks for your reply mrsteve0924.

no i didn't touch a thing. i suspect that maybe the sata port is going south?

i dont think the sata ports are bad. maybe it's something in the OS? something in startup or in task scheduler? check your event log to see. i'm assuming you are running some version of Windows.

I would think this ^^, before a port going bad as well. A port going bad is easily tested though.....switch ports. ;)

Like MrSteve, I'd think some kind of software issue first: start-up apps, services, or malware of some kind. Begin here, or as ED says, easily move your SATA cable, as unlikely as it may be that it's a port problem.

:) thanks everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

i moved the sata cable with no difference. i ran a full norton 360 scan and nothing showed up. tried an msconfig boot with the same results. :bang head

Yes, but did you check your Start Up folder and Services for any anomalies? Is your Norton threat file up to date? Try running Malwarebytes as well (it's free). A second opinion never hurts when it comes to malware.

what's up robert17, thanks for your input.

not sure i would recognize an anomaly if i saw it, but i'll go look. and i'll download malwarebytes and see what it says.

This may be a dumb question, but if it's hanging before it actually posts, how can an OS defect cause it?

As a side note, I read around a little, and someone with a P8Z77-V had a similar issue, and resolved it by unplugging and replugging his CD drive. Maybe try un/replugging all your drives?

This may be a dumb question, but if it's hanging before it actually posts, how can an OS defect cause it?

As a side note, I read around a little, and someone with a P8Z77-V had a similar issue, and resolved it by unplugging and replugging his CD drive. Maybe try un/replugging all your drives?

If there is something askew in the MBR then there can be delays in OS loading while system diagnostics are performed, amongst other things. What the posts are attempting to do is provide guidance, easier to more difficult therapies and tests to hopefully guide the OP to a solution. We've all got varying experiences with these type issues and perhaps his problem will mirror ones we've had, along with the solution.:cool:

I didn't know that, thanks Robert.

One thing you could do is disable the fullscreen logo in the Boot menu of you UEFI. Then you may be able to see what step it's sticking on?

ran malwarebytes to no effect, disabled fullscreen logo but that didn't help either. relocated all sata drive cables to different ports, no difference. i've run ms system file checker with no problems found.

with regards to the event viewer under administrative events after every boot there will be a minimum of 6 or 7 errors or warnings, not always the same. don't see a startup folder anywhere.

i have no idea that it makes any difference or what it means but when in the bios the mouse will barely move, huge lag, and highlighted items will flicker on and off occasionally

Last edited:
Go to 'Control Panel'
then 'System and Security'
then 'Administrative Tools'
then 'System Configuration'
then the 'Start Up' tab

print screen and post it.

Screenshot13_zpsb5b4bef1.png

here ya go

i don't know, you can hardly read that thing. i'm gonna disconnect the raptors today to see if that makes any difference.

Disable all the red arrowed items that you have enabled, reboot and see if there's an improvement. Report back and if necessary we'll look at the 'Services' tab on the same screen that was near the 'Startup' tab you grabbed the screeny from above.

Startup.png

ok followed your directions and the boot time was very close to the same, it went from 77 sec to 79.6 sec.

as an aside. when i boot the pc the first screen is an asus logo kinda thing, the next screen that pops up is a dos looking affair that list memory and drives installed (probably some other stuff too). anyway when the cursor comes to the end of data that it is listing on this page the very last entry are two periods (..). the pc will sit there appearing to do nothing unless i hit the escape key, when i do that it immediately moves on to the next step (longest) which is showing the asus logo screen and loading windows. don't know if this means something or not but i never had to do it before.

lastly after doing the above i decided to toss the asus AI Suite as it's never worked as advertised, after doing so the boot time dropped to 44.6 secs, still twice what it should be, but not the 4 or 5 minutes i was experiencing.

i believe discovering that the escape key moves things along is responsible for the biggest time savings so far.

You're on a roll. Discovering all the irritating bloat and how to avoid it is time consuming but useful and productive to know.

There should be some BIOS selections that allow you to Not have your system echo all the POST data to your monitor. Fish around in the BIOS for options that say something like "display POST" and select 'Disable' rather than the factory default 'Enabled'.

Proceed to the 'Services' tab as recommended above and you'll get an idea of what else is loading at start-up in the background. Some of it may be bloat as well.

Good job.:cool:

Back