• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing Netbook Drive/Imaging Current Drive/New Drive HELP please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have a HP Pavillion Dm-1 netbook that does the job for my needs Netbook model here

I heard some noise coming from the hard drive. I think it's going to fail.

The netbook is stock, no changes, all of HPs bloatware etc. All I put on is KAV and Office. The drive was partitioned by HP I presume, C drive and a D drive for recovery (never needed to recover anything yet)

Questions.

1. Should I back up the entire drive with Windows 7 built in backup program, image it, and then if the drive dies, I'll have a complete image to restore onto a new drive. Would this work??

2 Or if the drive fails, drop in new SSD and install only the software I want, fresh (like a new build)?

3. Is it possible to clone the drive I have now, and then install that onto a new SSD? I would think so, but I'm unsure of any challenges in doing that (going from a HDD to a SSD).

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Get a FREE version of AOMEI Backerupper. Just do an internet search. The software will allow you to clone your drive. Works wonderfully with no problems. just hook the other drive up thru USB or any port you can.

Thanks but I'm not sure what the best options are.

Based on what you said. What would be the steps? Clone my current drive, install a new blank drive, and clone the new drive from the portable HD? If so, how will the software on the portable HD run? I really don't have a lot of experience swapping out drives and such. Just putting them in as slave drives that's' about it.

The current drive is a SATA 2.5" 250Gig 7200rpm. Hitachi HTS723225A7A364

I was able to use Windows 7 and back it up the entire drive, including the recovery partition onto my portable hard drive.

I also have the HP recovery CDs (4 of them) I made.

The drive is only 2 years old, so I'm a little ticked it sounds faulty.

You can hook the new drive up the same way you use your portable. then just run AOMEI backerupper and select clone. It will give you a list of drives available to clone and the empty drive. You do not have to format or anything.

Ah, you mean clone it before it dies! Sorry, I was confused.

So, if I clone it in that way, do I need to buy a case for the drive, or can I run the drive out in the open? I would think it wouldn't matter.

I think an SSD would be too expensive currently from what I saw on Newegg. The replacement drive from HP was 155$ ! And that wasn't even a SSD.

What are the SMART attributes?

Check those to see if the drive is actually going to fail too.
Good to see that you have backups and images just in case. Those will save your hide of the drive does fail :)

What are the SMART attributes?

Check those to see if the drive is actually going to fail too.
Good to see that you have backups and images just in case. Those will save your hide of the drive does fail :)

I haven't checked on SMART yet, I just downloaded HDD Health to find out. Any particular attributes I should pay attention to?

I always keep backups. But the only time I had a drive crash it was beyond saving. So I never had a reason (knock on wood) to actually go through the process and what I should do (clone vs recovery, etc)

I believe the current drive is 7mm in height, I have seen someone put a 9.3mm in here as well.

SSD Upgrade for DM1 netbook

Reallocated Sectors Count, Reallocation Event Count, Current Pending Sector Count, Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count
:)

I used CrystalDiskMark 3.03 x64

This is what it gave me for my current HDD. HDD Health gave me 100%, couldn't copy/paste..the values for the parameters you mentioned were the following

For all parameters. Value was listed as 100/Threshold listed as 0/Worst listed as 100.

I have no idea what Value, Threshold or Worst means, nor the values. :shrug:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 83.492 MB/s
Sequential Write : 82.617 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 27.490 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 33.447 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.327 MB/s [ 79.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.719 MB/s [ 175.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.661 MB/s [ 161.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.634 MB/s [ 154.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 22.7% (48.4/213.5 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/05/30 17:29:45

Let me know what you think??

Last edited:
Will do. Well crap one of those pieces of software I found gave me MALWARE :mad::mad::mad: I ended up with a hijacker called Trovi . It hijacks your home page page and search preferences in all browsers. I removed it from IE, but having a harder time with FF removal. CRAP!

Might need to post on this one too.

Grab Malwarebytes and run it ASAP!

I own the Pro version for my PC, but I didn't install it on that netbook computer yet. I did NOW, ran it, and it picked up some items, and deleted them. I don't recall why I never installed it.

There's something WRONG now..CRAP.

I'm running FF v26.0. Ironically I installed a HD utility and the install caused malware to hijack the homage page and the upper right search engine box default (from my Google default, changed to Trovi Search).

I did the following:

1. Win7 Add/Remove program
2. I ran MalwareBytes Pro and it removed the maleware files it found
3. Followed steps to remove Trovi from all my browsers (IE, IEx64 versions 8) and Firefox
4. Installed the FF add-on SearchReset

All worked, BUT BUT when I open FF, the upper right search box, defaults to Google as it should, YET when I click on the little black triangle to reveal other search engines, there is Trovi Search in the list.

It must be somewhere on my HD still??
I'm completely stumped on this one. None of the removal guides I found for FF discussed this.

Someone on the FF forum suggested I check out the searchplugins folder and delete the offending .xml in there, but there's no Trovi .xml file!

I'm looking in the following path Computer>Local Disk>Program Files (x86)>Mozilla Firefox/browser>searchplugins

Inside there are 7 .xml files none of them are for Trovi Search.

UPDATE:

Weird, I did a system restore via Windows, and it didn't complete and I ended up with a BSOD (never saw that in Win7, nor on this netbook). I turned off/on the netbook. The Restore was only partially successful (didn't know that was possible, thought it was all or nothing) I can say that because 1 program installed, the Malewarebytes Pro was totally gone, and so was the Trovi Search issue too! I don't know why System Restore didn't work completely.

I'm reinstalling Maleware Pro and doing a full scan again..What a night..shot to crap, over a utility!

Last edited:
Yes, run Malwarebytes again.

I've had sys restore fail on me before, but my OS was really really borked up.
Run sfc /scannow in command prompt after and let it find and fix any messed up system files. :)

Then put Hard disk Sentinel on and grab a screenie :)

I ran Mbytes again and it found nothing (this was after the system restore failure). Hell I take it!

I'll run that test you mentioned. Man, if that utility you mentioned has maleware in it I'm going to go nuts!!

QUICK question on SFC. In running it, it MIGHT prompt me for Windows CD/DVD in order to make corrections I read. One thing- This is a HP Netbook, so HP pre-installed the OS etc, I have 4 recovery disks made when I first bought. Is this what I would use??

Last edited:
I ran Mbytes again and it found nothing (this was after the system restore failure). Hell I take it!

I'll run that test you mentioned. Man, if that utility you mentioned has maleware in it I'm going to go nuts!!

QUICK question on SFC. In running it, it MIGHT prompt me for Windows CD/DVD in order to make corrections I read. One thing- This is a HP Netbook, so HP pre-installed the OS etc, I have 4 recovery disks made when I first bought. Is this what I would use??

What HD Sentinel? lol no. No Malware there.

AFAIK, you need the Windows install DVD.
But I believe Windows has a backup copy of all system files hidden in a special cache or something, so you might not need it.

Thanks! I ran SFC like you suggested, it came back fine. No errors.

I'll run the HD sentinel later. I'm backing up the HD and making an image JUST in case, now that I have removed that maleware crap!

Back