• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 3820 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

So I did a little upgrade from my old i7 975 extreme and gtx 580.

I now have the i7 3820 with a rampage iv formula.
I,m pretty happy with it, overclock to 4.5ghz for 24/7 use on air, mem is overclocked from 1600 to 1900mhz.:p:)

does any one more have this cpu and bord, please let my now.

Congrats, a nice, but peculiar upgrade... are you planning on getting a hex core chip on that platform? Otherwise, you could have saved hundreds and went with Z77/87/97 and a 4770K. ;)

Last edited:
no I,m not planning to get another cpu, but I sold my i7 975 setup, for 600 euro, and because somebody I now needed money I bought this 1 for 630 euro, everything in a year old and everything complete, so I think it was a good deal.

You could have got something faster for less money...New that board was $370. New that chip was $310. That is $680 USD. $680 USD to Euro is 499... you really helped out that other person!

Regardless, enjoy!!! :)

why it is not only the cpu and bord, it is the all setup, so with the sapphire r9 280x and the rest in my sig, with hdd and ssd

so all of this was 630 euro

i7 3820 4.5ghz asus rampage iv formula CPU COOLER - cooler master 412s/MEMORY - 16gb corsair vengeance lp 1600mhz overclocked to 1900mhz/VIDEOCARD - sapphire r9 280x toxic/PSU - be-quit dark power pro 10/1000watt/CASE - cooler master haf X.

yes I thought so.
but now your opinion please

only thing that I,m always find disturbing is, is the vcore 1.320v not damaging the cpu on the long term, I don't use offset but fixed.
I now if the temps are oke then its fine, but it is still using al the vcore even on idle.
So what is your opinion, is it oke??
same goes for the ram, its low profile corsair 1.5v is stock, running at 1900mhz at 1.62 is that still oke???

If that is the least amount of voltage it takes to be stable, its fine for the CPU. I wouldn't bother overclocking ram as it isn't a bottleneck in the first place, but that seems fine as well!

oke then I leave it at this, the ram I set a little lower, running at 1900mhz needed a vcore of 1.62, running at 1866mhz is on stock vcore of 1.5v so.

I hope so or its going to be a quick Honeymoon and its not going to last too long!!! :chair:

Nice set up with a bit more tweaking he could possibly lower his Vcore. :shrug:

AJ.

yes yes I mean the voltage of the ram hahaha not for the cpu, 1.6v on air don't seems a very good idea hahaha.

I hope so or its going to be a quick Honeymoon and its not going to last too long!!! :chair:

Nice set up with a bit more tweaking he could possibly lower his Vcore. :shrug:

AJ.

yes it goes a bit lower, its stable at 4.5ghz at 1.30v but I give it a bit extra.

Yeah 1.30v seems better than before, what settings are you using in the bios!!

And 1.60v for the Ram is fine, if your Ram is set @ 1.50v then 1.55v if OK, if its 1.65v then 1.70v is the same and OK also, so long as you do not push things too high. ;)

Regards,

AJ.

settings in the bios are bclk 116.6/multi 39/vcore for cpu now 1.310/llc high/speedstep and power options disabled/dram freq 1866mhz 9-11-9-26 2t at 1.5v/cpu current capability 120%/the other thing don't now the name right now, at optimized.
that's it.

Seems fine for what you are using the PC for, so long as its fully stable, just carry on and if by chance you come across anything, please come back to us here!

We are always willing to help!

AJ.

use my pc for gaming, maxon cinema 4 d rendering and making unattended software.
at least most of the time haha, sometimes I,m using it for fbook, hahaha.
will come back for sure.
And yes its fully stable

Back