• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus ati 5970 gpu rebooting when in directx mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theanonymous

Hello,

my question is about an ati 5970 gpu in crossfire mode. When i benchmark with Furmark it just works all fine, but when i start Heaven in full screen mode and in directx mode and the gpu in crossfire mode it will give 5 seconds of image and than always will reboot the system. I have a 650 watts power supply and a i7 920 cpu. In Opencl it will work fine though. Dxdiag gives me no problems. My display driver is PNP driver, also no errors. I use windows 7 64 bits and have 8 gb of ram installed. Most of the updates of windows are installed and i use catalyst 14.6. I tried to install a newer bios, still the same problems. I use directx 11.

Regards

Im a bit confused...

PNP driver? What is that?

650W PSU and i7 920... that can be pushing it... What brand/model?

PNP Plug and play. Asrock x58 extreme motherboard, intel cpu, asus gpu: specs. Can't be the psu, cause in opencl modus, so both cpu's running at full speed, the computer won't reboot or cause an error.

Maybe OpenCL is less stressful? I don't know.

Have you tried rolling back the drivers? When I go to AMD.com and look for drivers, the latest one for that generation of cards is 14.4. I would try that.

Ok thanks, i'll try that. Done that, same problem, the image colors turn weird sometimes that's what i forgot to mention. Like a waze over the screen, purple or red.

in opencl mode both gpu's show 51 percent activity.

Well that supports my thinking OPenCL isn't using as much power...

Try other drivers...

Excuse, but you may be right the PSU isn't powerfull enough, I'll try a 750 watt psu tomorrow.

Hello, i parallel applied another psu 300 watts now it holds on longer and full power gpu 1 and 2 is given. After about 10 minutes it still reboots despite.

Im not sure how you did that... or if it was done right. I would try with that 750W PSU you have instead of franksteining the thing.

the at psu has 2 pins which have to be connected to turn the psu on, so instead of the powerbutton. It's better image now. You may be right, i shall reassemble.

Back