• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matrix 5870 Watercooling Working!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Hello~!

I like the matrix 5870. Like a lot. And for whatever reason, I want to keep using them even when they are 3 generations old. I decided that it was finally time to watercool these cards, in hopes to OC the hell out of them once Witcher 3 comes out. And also run ENB with Skyrim :D

So I dug up some material [http://nl.hardware.info/forum/threads/244826-Matrix-5870-full-cover-waterblock], and then tracked down some blocks. There is a difference between my blocks and the ones featured in the above thread. I guess EK had two models and they became region exclusive. I didn't bother looking into it, because it ended up not mattering.

yJZ14RR

The blocks were brand new and sat on some shelf for a long time. The second they arrived, I grabbed my dremel and started what needed to be done. Unfortunately I don't have a stand for mine so everything was done by hand. Took a long time and came out eh clean, but it worked.

XeIS94i.jpg

lvhShPY.jpg

nQerokt.jpg

D5l19yy.jpg

fbv3zuB.jpg

xZPXHOP.jpg

1Y3RB0p.jpg

AsLPrj0.jpg

I live dangerously! :D
M4HtxS0.jpg

BbNAEKZ.jpg

9Lrmb8c.jpg

WPqoYLF.jpg

My Reference 5850 still holds a special place in my heart, it's a darn good overclocker and I can still play modern games on it, albeit not at high settings. I can see what you would still enjoy the Matrix 5870's!

I had to do the same thing to the block I bought off moho in the classies for my MSI 7950. I ended up cutting the end of the block off and making an aluminum blanking plate. that copper always makes a mess. nice job getting those blocks to fit. I had 5870 xfire prior to my 7950 and planned on getting them in my loop but never did and I thought they were pretty quiet. The 7950 is a fighter jet compared to the 2 5870s.

....... I'm an engineer, I work with what I have, and I figure out how to get it done.

An Engineer dies and goes to hell. He's hot and miserable, so he decides to take action. The A/C has been busted for a long time, so he fixes it. Things cool down quickly.

The moving walkway motor jammed, so he unjams it. People can get from place to place more easily.

The TV was grainy and unclear, so he fixes the connection to the Satellite dish and now they get hundreds of high def channels.

One day, God decides to look down on Hell to see how his grand design is working out and notices that everyone is happy and enjoying umbrella drinks. He asks the Devil what's going on?

The Devil replies, "Things are great down here since you sent us that engineer."

"What?? An engineer? I didn't send you one of those, that must have been a mistake. Send him back up right this minute."

The Devil responds, "No way! We are going to keep our engineer. We like this guy."

God demands, "If you don't send him to me immediately, I'll sue!"

The Devil laughs. "Where are YOU going to get a lawyer?"

An Engineer dies and goes to hell. He's hot and miserable, so he decides to take action. The A/C has been busted for a long time, so he fixes it. Things cool down quickly.

The moving walkway motor jammed, so he unjams it. People can get from place to place more easily.

The TV was grainy and unclear, so he fixes the connection to the Satellite dish and now they get hundreds of high def channels.

One day, God decides to look down on Hell to see how his grand design is working out and notices that everyone is happy and enjoying umbrella drinks. He asks the Devil what's going on?

The Devil replies, "Things are great down here since you sent us that engineer."

"What?? An engineer? I didn't send you one of those, that must have been a mistake. Send him back up right this minute."

The Devil responds, "No way! We are going to keep our engineer. We like this guy."

God demands, "If you don't send him to me immediately, I'll sue!"

The Devil laughs. "Where are YOU going to get a lawyer?"

:rofl: Never heard this, but by far one of the best engineer jokes I've read.

Back