• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange issue with CPU or Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJMike26

Hello All,

I am having a bit of a strange issue that I have never run into before. Yesterday after getting home from the store, I booted up my PC and started to play a game, although I noticed that I was getting framerate stuttering. It seemed to keep dropping a lot throughout my play. So I started taking a look at some of my sensor utilities. When I opened Asus Probe II, I noticed that it was telling me that one of my chassis fans weren't running. Okay, no problem it must have gone bad. I than took at look at the frequency and noticed that my AMD FX-8320 was only running at 1.5 GHz per core. I also checked CPUZ and had the same results. So I booted to the bios just to take a look and noticed that it show my Chassis fan WAS running fine and that my frequency was at 3.5 GHz per core as it should. So I though that it must be a fluke. Booted back into windows and again same issues. So I shutdown and took the side off my case which is also where the Chassis fan it said was running is located. Turned the computer back on and noticed the fan was running fine. I logged into windows and noticed that 30 seconds after windows logs in that one chassis fan turns off and the CPU underclocks to 1.5 GHz (217*7 multiplier). All 7 of the other fans in my case still running perfectly. GPU running fine, 6 HDD's running fine. Could it be possible that Asus probe II itself is underclocking my CPU. If so, what would be causing the fan to shut off. My first thought was power-supply, but I have no issues when stressing my hardware even in this state. I am an IT consultant but have not run into this issue before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs-

ASUS m5a97 r2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX-8320 CPU
CoolerMaster HYPER N520 CPU Cooler
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (x2)
Galaxy Geforce GTX 660Ti OC
750w PowerSupply
Cougar Evolution Full Tower Case
Samsung 840 128gb SSD

Let me know if you need any other information

If it the RPM shows in the BIOS, it sounds like the motherboard is slowing the fan down (through voltage) too much and it is stopping the fan.

It is OK for processors to run under their set speed. It is doing that to save power. As long as your temperature are under 55c under full load, you are not having an issue. Use CoreTemp (or similar) to get the temperature.

Understood. Although it has never acted this way until yesterday. coretemp has always showed all of my chassis fans running. This one in particular now stops running after booting into windows. Under load my cpu is staying at 1.5 Ghz. It won't clock correctly in windows as of yesterday. This is causing many performance issues. I have tried changing it. It will only seem to show correctly before booting while in the Bios.

Are you sure that isn't your power savings features doing its thing in windows?

I will have to check my power savings when I return home in an hour. I didn't even think about it last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it was my Asus motherboard utility that was causing the issue. Everything is working fine after uninstalling.

It looks like it was my Asus motherboard utility that was causing the issue. Everything is working fine after uninstalling.

AiSuite for AMD boards has been nothing but a pain for most of us. I don't use it unless I just must do so to look at something only AISuite appears useful for the 'seeing' and then I uninstall it again. Have used it a total of 3 days in 2.2 years of AMD FX processors on Asus mobo. In addition using more than one app to probe the cpu for something like temps or votlages or what have you is asking for an issue since more than one app looking in on the same item is generally going to cause an issue with my AMD stuff.
RGone...ster.

AiSuite for AMD boards has been nothing but a pain for most of us. I don't use it unless I just must do so to look at something only AISuite appears useful for the 'seeing' and then I uninstall it again. Have used it a total of 3 days in 2.2 years of AMD FX processors on Asus mobo. In addition using more than one app to probe the cpu for something like temps or votlages or what have you is asking for an issue since more than one app looking in on the same item is generally going to cause an issue with my AMD stuff.
RGone...ster.

I now see how much of an issue it really is. Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to create a new thread for overclocking my system but could you maybe help with some good information on overclocking with my setup. It will be my first time overclocking and I have no issue posting pictures from Hwinfo during a 20 min prime95 if needed.

(217*7 multiplier)
The processor also shouldn't be at 217 FSB, Does the motherboard have the latest BIOS on it, assuming you haven't overclocked it, it should be at 200.

Edit: Bulldozer overclocking guide and just to inform you, that board isn't made to overclock an Fx 8 series Cpu, you may get a mild overclock on it.

It does have a mild overclock on it just to 3.8 ghz which is why the multiplayer is at 217.

Okay thanks good to know. I was thinking of upgrading the motherboard soon.

It does have a mild overclock on it just to 3.8 ghz which is why the multiplayer is at 217.

Okay thanks good to know. I was thinking of upgrading the motherboard soon.
Did you use the Asus overclocking software? If so down post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory.
View attachment 145170

Last edited:
I did it from Bios. Here are the screens

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 110
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 102
As a side note. I feel as though I need to change my memory Timings. What do you think.

As a side note. I feel as though I need to change my memory Timings. What do you think.

Yes, if you look at the Jedec profiles in the Spd tab they are what is recommended you should be running your ram and timings at. You are now running at 1154 mhz with loose timings except your bank cycle timing. If you're going to try and push the overclock further using the FSB/CPU Ratio then leave them be for now, that way you most likely will not run into memory issues. If you're going to use the multiplier then try setting the memory closer to the JEDEC #4 profile and the timings as well.

Yes, if you look at the Jedec profiles in the Spd tab they are what is recommended you should be running your ram and timings at. You are now running at 1154 mhz with loose timings except your bank cycle timing. If you're going to try and push the overclock further using the FSB/CPU Ratio then leave them be for now, that way you most likely will not run into memory issues. If you're going to use the multiplier then try setting the memory closer to the JEDEC #4 profile and the timings as well.

Great. Thank you for all of the information. Since it seems you're very versed in the AMD FX world if I have anymore questions in the area or any worries ill let you know. If that isn't an issue.

Yes I think you should certainly adjust ram timings to 9, 9, 9, 25, 34, 2T with ram voltage bumped slightly to 1.55V since it is 1.5V ram. That small bump is inconsequential except that it is often instrumental in helping with stability. Certainly not a voltage of bad consequence to the ram.

IF the ram timings being tightened does not bring on instablity in running P95 Blend mode, then you might also raise the ram speed one notch in bios and then the ram will be overclocked slightly and that bump from 1.5V on ram to 1.55V on ram may well come in very very handy.
RGone...ster.

Thanks for the info. I will try after work today. I will let you know the results.

Great. Thank you for all of the information. Since it seems you're very versed in the AMD FX world if I have anymore questions in the area or any worries ill let you know. If that isn't an issue.

Djmike, you're welcome. There is a group of us here that really push the pee out of our Fx 8xxx chips. We know them very well and are more then willing to help you learn how to overclock properly. Another good guide is this PDF from AMD it is also done on an ASUS motherboard so it may be a bit easier to follow.

Back