• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd Computer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorockstar84

Hi guys, i am back with another build. I want to have your opinion. This is my 2nd gaming build with a budget of around 2K$.

-Antec Nine Hundred Black ATX mid tower
-Intel i5-4670K
-MSI Z97-G45 LGA 1150
-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
-Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti OC 3GB (i already have it)
-WD Black 1TB 7200rpm
-Samsung EVO 250GB (2x, one for my other computer)
-Corsair HX850 80 plus Gold
-ASUS 24" 144hz screen
-Logitech G930 wireless headset

The total price is 1719.36 and i'm probably to add a second 144hz screen so: 2037.49.

Are there any hardware i should change? One company over another or everything looks fine? Thanks!

Jorockstar

If you are going Z97, get the Devil's Canyon CPU...4690K that comes out in about 2 weeks.

660ti is pretty weak for a gamer, especially if you want to run refresh at 144Mhz...

PSU is overkill unless you plan on using SLI down the road (even then 750W is PLENTY). If this is a single GPU only. A quality 550W PSU will be enough and handle overclocking quite easily.

Personally, I would hold off on the second monitor, and upgrade your GPU to something a bit more up to the task for 144Mhz gaming.

The 660 Ti is temporary, i will get some 800s once they are out (one in each computer), will the 850W PSU be overkill even for that? And yes i gree for the devils canyon cpus. Thank you

Yes. It will still be overkill for an 800 series. Even the 780ti/Titan/R9 290X are all 250W cards. Your CPU is what, 77W? Give 50W for the board/peripherals, another 50-75W for overclocking to the brink, and we come up with, at most, if BOTH CPU AND GPU were running 100% (doesn't do that in gaming), 450W. Typically, your gaming load will be much less than that. I run an overclocked 4930K and a 780ti (overclocked too) on a 550W PSU and its fan barely spins up while gaming.

One of the few good Rosewill's... its fine. :)

For a gaming machine, 16GB is overkill.. I would grab 2x4GB DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v and call it a day. Much above that there are negligible gains at best but the cost skyrockets.

Is there a reason you went straight for the MSI Z97-G45? The gaming 5 is not much more and has few more features. The Gigabyte GA-G1 Sniper
and Asus Z97-Pro are really nice boards for not much more.

Your total seems kind of high with you have listed, even with 2 ssd's.

The monitor your looking at is the VG248QE?

What kind of cpu cooling?

Back