• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Custom Benching/Torture rack ideas.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I've been eyeballing one of my old desktop cases and I'm thinking about modding it into a torture rack. I know I could just buy one, but none of the ones that I've found have all the features I want and would end up modding anyhow. I think the closest to what I'm looking for is the Danger Den T/R.

What benching station do you abuse your hardware with the most?

What do you like/dislike about your particular model?

What would you add/change?

Is there anything I should steer clear from?

Perhaps its best to know what features you are looking for that OTS benching stations are missing...

Last edited:
Perhaps its best to know what features you are looking for that OTS benching stations are missing...

OK, I'll give it a try. I see buying your first benching station like buying your first house. You're not really sure what you need/want until you pull the trigger on it and live in it for a while. So I'm trying to learn from the experts here.

What I don't like about DD's is the acrylic. I alway prefer metal over plastic for most things I buy. I really like Dimastech's modular designs, but they lack a good cover or lid.

My goal here is to find out what I HAVE to have and what is NICE to have. I would also like to know what features are pointless (e.g. handles for transporting a station that never goes anywhere)

OK, I'll give it a try. I see buying your first benching station like buying your first house. You're not really sure what you need/want until you pull the trigger on it and live in it for a while. So I'm trying to learn from the experts here.

What I don't like about DD's is the acrylic. I alway prefer metal over plastic for most things I buy. I really like Dimastech's modular designs, but they lack a good cover or lid.

My goal here is to find out what I HAVE to have and what is NICE to have. I would also like to know what features are pointless (e.g. handles for transporting a station that never goes anywhere)

Top of my head thoughts:

What are your benching goals? Water, DICE, LN2, or air?

If you plan on using pots, and are going to be doing a LOT of benching of different hardware, you may consider a station frame mounted screw for mounting the pots.

Consider a hole under the CPU area to make it easy to switch out cooling solutions and back plates with the board still mounted.

While one of the advantages of having a station is that it is easy to get in a work on stuff, having the levels too far apart means it may be hard to get power cables to everywhere you need to. Unless you have a selection of high quality extension cables.

Personally I like wood over plastic for benching stations, but that is a personal preference.

Hope that helps some.

If you plan on using pots, and are going to be doing a LOT of benching of different hardware, you may consider a station frame mounted screw for mounting the pots.
What is that?

3rd party hosted images are blocked for me at my office... I will have to check that out later, or ya'll can host internally...

OCFinsertimages.png

Photbucket is still 3rd party (3rd party means anything outside of OCF) TJ... but no worries I will check it out at home. Thanks! :)

3rd party hosted images are blocked for me at my office... I will have to check that out later, or ya'll can host internally...

Sorry, I thought it was an internal pic. The pic is Navig's from his thread, and I uploaded it internally.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@ AJ, I did see the cover for the Dimastech but I'm looking more for a solid lid if you will, not just a dust cover.

@ Torin and the rest, My goals are to start out water but I know if I'm going to get serious I'll have to venture into the REAL cold. I think I'll want the ability to do sub zero in the future but it's not a requirement by any means.

The fact is I know I can do 99% of my benching in a desktop case, But I'm looking for the ease of quicker assy/teardown.

BTW here are some shots of the older case I was refering to in the OP. It's an old school Apevia POS. Although for and older POS it does have a decent removeable MoBo tray that when flipped around gave me the whole idea in the first place.
View attachment 145339
View attachment 145341
View attachment 145340

Back