• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram bus 2133, Mobo bus 1600, CPU bus 1600 .... Possible ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper3320

Hello everyone, newbie alert :D

I'm building my new rig as follow :
GA-G1 sniper B5
Intel Core i3-4150 (3.5Ghz)

As for ram i have 3 options :
DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 1600 - G.Skill Ripjaw

DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 2133 - G.Skill Ripjaw

DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 2133 - G.Skill Sniper

I had my eyes on 2133 kits, i know that CPU and Mobo only support 1600 bus, but since the 2133 kits are CHEAPER than 1600 kit so i say why not ? Ok here are the questions :

1/ Basically when i put them in they will be lowered to 1600 but will latency be lowered too ? And would there be any trouble regarding performance ? If there are any then what can i do to fix ?

2/ Which one is better ? Ripjaw or Sniper :D ?

3/ Is PSU Zalman 500 LX good and Haswell ready ?

All of your replies are greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much :)

1) The RAM will be clocked down by the board automatically. You'll have to set lower timings youself though.

2) Ripjaws and Sniper are just the heatsinks. You need to look at the timings and voltage to see which is best.

3) I wouldn't use the word "good", but it shouldn't be a fire hazard. It'll run a Haswell setup.

+1 ^^

1. Use the XMP profile to set your ram properly.
2. Exactly as above
3. Exactly as above.

It's possible to set memory clock up to 2933 on Haswell based i3 so don't worry about 2133 memory, it will work set manually or using XMP profile.

RipjawsX and Sniper series have about the same memory chips inside. Simply pick the one which cost less or has better declared specification.

Any of those kits should be good. By the way, there is no longer a BUS of any kind on anything Intel.

Though the official RAM support on a specific part may only be 1600/1333/1866 that doesn't mean the cpu isn't capable of handling much faster memory. There is no longer a Northbridge handling memory, the memory controller is on the CPU die itself, so a motherboard saying it only supports 1600Mhz memory is pretty much irrelevant if your CPU supports 2133+++.

By the way I notice you're buying a gamer oriented motherboard but not a gamer oriented CPU. You really want 4 cores for gaming. You might want to try to squeeze an i5 into your budget. It may be cheaper for you to get an AMD FX6300CPU and appropriate motherboard instead. Either way, you'll be better outfitted for gaming than with an i3.

1) The RAM will be clocked down by the board automatically. You'll have to set lower timings youself though.

2) Ripjaws and Sniper are just the heatsinks. You need to look at the timings and voltage to see which is best.

3) I wouldn't use the word "good", but it shouldn't be a fire hazard. It'll run a Haswell setup.

+1 ^^

1. Use the XMP profile to set your ram properly.
2. Exactly as above
3. Exactly as above.

It's possible to set memory clock up to 2933 on Haswell based i3 so don't worry about 2133 memory, it will work set manually or using XMP profile.

RipjawsX and Sniper series have about the same memory chips inside. Simply pick the one which cost less or has better declared specification.

Much appreciated guys :D
Personally i wouldn't mind running at 1600 but if i could run at 2133 then it would be nice. According to you i just have to enable some sort of XMP profiles right ? Is it some type of OCing and would it be harmful to my system ?
Any guide on how to do this is greatly appreciated :)

XMP Profiles are known good settings for RAM to run, so no it won't hurt your system :)

Any of those kits should be good. By the way, there is no longer a BUS of any kind on anything Intel.

Though the official RAM support on a specific part may only be 1600/1333/1866 that doesn't mean the cpu isn't capable of handling much faster memory. There is no longer a Northbridge handling memory, the memory controller is on the CPU die itself, so a motherboard saying it only supports 1600Mhz memory is pretty much irrelevant if your CPU supports 2133+++.
==> This is totally new to me, as i see people still talk about CPU bus a lot. What you are saying is i'm cool with 2133 ? Performance will be as default ?

By the way I notice you're buying a gamer oriented motherboard but not a gamer oriented CPU. You really want 4 cores for gaming. You might want to try to squeeze an i5 into your budget. It may be cheaper for you to get an AMD FX6300CPU and appropriate motherboard instead. Either way, you'll be better outfitted for gaming than with an i3.
==> Yes this is a gaming rig, i know Ị5 is better than I3 but Broadwell is coming with 1150 LGA so i would save my money for that. Moreover, action games are depending mostly on GPU so CPU is not a big concert imo (strategic are vice versa).

XMP Profiles are known good settings for RAM to run, so no it won't hurt your system :)

Great, thank you :) I will try that and see what happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back