• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which plate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have an EK supremecy waterblock that i am going to install on a 4790K.
which injector plate should I use?
I have been using j2 on my 8350 but I am thinking i should use the one with the largest opening and go ahead and flood the thing with max flow.
anybody using this on haswell and what plate are you using?

being an 88 watt cpu instead of a 220 watt cpu should i use that and 3/8 or 1/2 tube?
3/8 tube is easier to route than 1/2.

Well it depends. If its a micro case than go with the smaller but if its a regular build I'd go with 1/2. Idk but I am a fan of 1/2. lol And less prone to kinks.

I've got the room, I'm building it in a coolermaster hafx-942.
I'd just like to be lazy.

I thought I might as well float that out there, I'm going to take a lot of heat for cable and tube if I do.

C/D if I may, if you're going to use 3/8 ID tubing may I suggest 3/8 x 5/8 tubing. I've used both 1/16 " and 1/8" walled tubing and I find the 1/16 tends to pinch a lot easier when making bends.

Not to open this debate again as I am sure we've all had this discussion before nor am I trying to hijack this thread (apologizing in advanced Caddi) but wouldn't a bigger tube move more water than a smaller tube? Of course the pump plays a roll but lets say for example, the 35x will need to pump more because its a bigger hose. A water pump needs to work more to push more. Wouldn't there be an increase of water mass if you will? I mean say an inch of tube filled with water from end to end. Won't it have more "heat absorbing properties" (if that makes sense) to pick up the heat than say the smaller tube with less water? I understand the effects of equilibrium but maybe if the heat surface is compensated enough for the amount of water used for example. How would we calculate the properties of the said amount of water with the said amount heat surface needed. I know most if not majority will say well, once the loop reaches equilibrium it won't matter. I mean if there was a way to calculate the amount of fluid used per square inch for example. Kind of like saying well, lets take a 120.9 for example. A thicker tube vs say a much smaller ID, one might get a few degrees improvements, no? I am not trying to state there will be a huge increase in performance or efficiency but maybe say 0.5-3c.

The reason I am saying this is and by all means I am no chemist or anything but it makes me think since I know there's a limitation. Is it safe to say the limitation of water is when it boils before it evaporates? So the water would have to reach that high for it to hit a wall if you will. Am I saying this right or am I not making any sense? Its A.M. and this insomniac needs some sleep. :screwy:

Here's another example, from my "arm chair" understanding. Firefighters show up to a blaze. They will use bigger lines from 1.5" to 3" for say a big fire all the way to 5"+ up top on a tower/ladder apparatus etc. They need the most water (cooling properties) to cool the fire down. The 1.5" won't really do the job if its a blaze but the 3"+ will bring much needed cooling.

I don't know maybe that was a bad example or I am speaking gibberish in general. I think I am doing circles here and searching for something that doesn't exist. I'll be back later once I get some needed sleep. :chair:

Last edited:
Not to open this debate again as I am sure we've all had this discussion before nor am I trying to hijack this thread (apologizing in advanced Caddi) but wouldn't a bigger tube move more water than a smaller tube? Of course the pump plays a roll but lets say for example, the 35x will need to pump more because its a bigger hose. A water pump needs to work more to push more. Wouldn't there be an increase of water mass if you will? I mean say an inch of tube filled with water from end to end. Won't it have more "heat absorbing properties" (if that makes sense) to pick up the heat than say the smaller tube with less water? I understand the effects of equilibrium but maybe if the heat surface is compensated enough for the amount of water used for example. How would we calculate the properties of the said amount of water with the said amount heat surface needed. I know most if not majority will say well, once the loop reaches equilibrium it won't matter. I mean if there was a way to calculate the amount of fluid used per square inch for example. Kind of like saying well, lets take a 120.9 for example. A thicker tube vs say a much smaller ID, one might get a few degrees improvements, no? I am not trying to state there will be a huge increase in performance or efficiency but maybe say 0.5-3c.

The reason I am saying this is and by all means I am no chemist or anything but it makes me think since I know there's a limitation. Is it safe to say the limitation of water is when it boils before it evaporates? So the water would have to reach that high for it to hit a wall if you will. Am I saying this right or am I not making any sense? Its A.M. and this insomniac needs some sleep. :screwy:

Here's another example, from my "arm chair" understanding. Firefighters show up to a blaze. They will use bigger lines from 1.5" to 3" for say a big fire all the way to 5"+ up top on a tower/ladder apparatus etc. They need the most water (cooling properties) to cool the fire down. The 1.5" won't really do the job if its a blaze but the 3"+ will bring much needed cooling.

I don't know maybe that was a bad example or I am speaking gibberish in general. I think I am doing circles here and searching for something that doesn't exist. I'll be back later once I get some needed sleep. :chair:

The reason tube size doesn't make a difference past ~1/4" ID is because the other parts of the loop (block/rad) are restricting the flow from benefitting from a larger ID tube.

all kinds of discussion is welcome, the more info we get out there the better, hijack the thread if you like, I like info.

I'll ask you the same question... which would have more flow?

1. 1.5 GPM through 3/8"?
2. 1.5 GPM through 1/2"?

The only difference would be a slight change in pressure. Also, as ATM said, there are more restrictive parts in a loop than 3/8" tubing.

The tubing thing is in the stickies too... here is an excerpt from another site though:
The Impact of Tubing Size

There have been countless discussions on whether 3/8"ID (9.5mm) tubing is more restrictive than 1/2"ID (13mm) tubing. While technically you would immediately see the smaller diameter and assume it would create a significant drop in flow due smaller diameter restricting flow. Not so. While there are some very, very minor differences in flow as they are calculated, there is very little difference in flow rates and therefore little impact on your Delta and temps. Tubing smaller than 3/8"ID (9.5mm) does tend to cause more restriction than benefit, but those tubing sizes are rarely used on custom loops.

there will be no diff in flow, the j2 plate has a narrow slot.
on the extreme 9 board it has 2 8 pin cpu power connectors, any reason to run both with a 4790K?

the little woman will never let me have that kind of stuff in the house so I'll run one.

that's a very worth while read, I'm going with thin wall 1/2.
I'll get the pump out of the case and this will make less mess in the case.

Back