• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Administrator Password?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abb1

Administrator Password-HELP?????

I am running XP, and it says that an error occurred and that I have to put in the setup cd and hit "r" at the first screen for repair. When I do this it puts me in the recovery console and asks me for the "Administrators Password" Well wtf. I was never given one nor did I create one. How do I repair XP when it asks for this password?

Last edited:
Normally, when this dialog appears...the only thing you would need to do is hit "Enter" to bypass this screen and take you directly to the Recovery Console (if no "Administrator Password" was set). Have you tried this...and still weren't able to access the Recovery Console?

an error occured?
you may be getting this because you overclocked too much, try lowering the FSB

redduc900 said:
Normally, when this dialog appears...the only thing you would need to do is hit "Enter" to bypass this screen and take you directly to the Recovery Console (if no "Administrator Password" was set). Have you tried this...and still weren't able to access the Recovery Console?
All I get is the C: after I hit enter. That does not seem to be recovering to me. I dont have it overclocked.

I do not want to do a reinstall. I want to repair it, but you need the administrators password. (I guess), because I do not have one and when I just hit enter, I get the C: prompt but it does not repair.

What it is doing is correct. It takes you to the "Recovery CONSOLE". it does NOT repair it for you. There is a way for it to try to repair the OS for you... I think it is further along in the install process...

btw
When you install ANY NT based OS, it requires that you set an administrator password...

In the install process, there is a selection to repair Windows. Boot from the cd or boot disks and after it loads the initial setup files, prior to formatting, it will give you the option to attempt to detect and repair Windows. With XP, you may want to try Last Known Good Configuration or restore points prior to a repair installation.

Last edited:
Back