• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old 386 server Tower!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

A guy I know had this rig for quite some time and was gonna throw it out so i greatfully adopted it. Its got the BIG's!!! It stands about 3 1/2 feet tall and weighs a ton! from what I can tell it was a high quality case and is made very sturdy. Despite its age it is still quite a nice case and I just couldn't let it go to waste. I took a spare super socket 7 motherboad and Intel Pentium 200 @ 266 :cool: and did a nice job fitting it in there, I know its now power house but i plan to make some sort of file server out of it or perhaps an internet gateway when cable becomes available in my area. I don't want to put much money into it so what do you guys have in mind for this poor old case? I already did a little mod to it, I replaced the standard AT power switch with a nice lockable power switch I had lying around. Just gotta make a hole in the case to fit it in now. Paint job is in the near future and possible a window (heh lots of space for one!). Just give me a few ideas! I'm downloading the drivers for my camera as I type this so I will get some pics up very shortly.

Be back in a little while!

JDXNC

Happy St. PaTTy's Day :beer:

Iron Hawk said:
Is 266 enough for a server?

Its just gonna be for sharing net access and a file serer in my home. Should do, maybe I will come accross a k6-2 sometime to spif it up.

Here's the back, its got a very nice fan on the psu.. and believe it or not... its a 350 watt psu from 1991!

Tiger Direct has K6-2+ 450's for $35.00. That's the notebook CPU, with 128 L2 cache. If that board can run it, it would give it a serious shot in the arm. I also could give you a link to a German site that has moded BIOS for running them. Just thought you'd like to know.

yeha ive converted something like that to atx , its huge , its heavy!!!!!, its beasty ............ nope no dents happening to this case

besides... anything with a couple fans, a window & neon's will be cool ;)

that thing is a tank. it 1.5 feet taller than my FULL TOWER. they should be transproting the president in that thing! i got an idea for a use for it, anyone seen Panic Room. its already got the computer controls. ;) well on a serious note i think its pretty cool and should make a great server.

Once I get her all screwed shut and the power switched locked on you'll need Dynamite to stop it :) I think the outside cover weighs more than my whole main rig.

Back