• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ rev. 4.0 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Farwalker2u

I bought this board (GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ rev. 4.0) on June 3, 2014 to build a new system.

The rest of the system:
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W
GIGABYTE GV-R929OC-4GD Radeon R9 290
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-1600C8D-8GAB
SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

My problem is that I have found this system running with a black screen when I checked it on two occasions now. The first time was about three weeks ago. The second time was this morning.

It would not restart using the case switch, so I had to turn off the power at the PSU. Waited about 30 seconds, turned the PSU switch back on, it would not restart. After fiddling around inside to make sure everything was seated correctly, I tried to restart again. Nothing. Several times nothing. After about 15 minutes of messing around, I tried to start again and it did start.

Don't ask about startup beeps, I can't hear them.

This BIOS corruption message (pictured below) was on the screen!!

I am only folding on this system. I have never even gone into the BIOS to change anything. I do have the R9 290 overclocked to 1100MHz using TriXX (VDDC offset to 200).

FX-6300 never has gotten above 45C. The R9 290 runs about 78C.

My questions are:
1) Does this motherboard have a history of this problem?
2) Is there a fix?
3) Is my best option to RMA? My 30 day RMA may have expired!

Attachments

• GA_990FXA_UD3.jpg
    GA_990FXA_UD3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7,647
Last edited:
This is kinda scarey for me since I have the exact same motherboard, but mine is working fine. (I bought it May this year.)
I have never heard of this happening and could not find any info on it.

Did it work after doing that backup bios recovery?

Did you install anything new or maybe spill something on the mobo or shock it or something?

DId you have the latest bios updates?

If its still not working after doing the bios recovery, then RMA. But I would RMA even if you got it working since its probably a bad board. Though its always sucks to have to completely tear down a new computer. You probably got that one i a million board lol.

Last edited:
I'm with firesoul, I would flash to a newer bios and hope that it corrects itself. That's not a good sign when you've done nothing to it and the bios is scrambled like that. You might also want to check your memory.
As for the RMA, you should be able to deal directly with Gigabyte. I'm sure their warranty is more than 30 days.

Did it work after doing that backup bios recovery?

Did you install anything new or maybe spill something on the mobo or shock it or something?

DId you have the latest bios updates?

It is currently working.
No spills or new installs. (Strictly a Folding @ Home machine)
I have not updated the BIOS.

I have the BIOS which came on the board.

Hopefully that's all it needed. That dual bios is handy at times like that. I don't know enough about Giga bios to recommend one but if it ain't broke .....

It is currently working.
No spills or new installs. (Strictly a Folding @ Home machine)
I have not updated the BIOS.

I have the BIOS which came on the board.

Really nice to see that the Dual bios really does work.
But still seems odd. I'd personally probably send it in but if its working might not be all the effort and time.

I guess if my problem is not a "known" widespread problem, I will put up with it so long as it only about once every three weeks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
It did exactly what it should do, detected a fault and corrected it.

My Z97 Extreme6 did the same thing two days ago (granted, I was pushing it pretty hard benching), and runs flawlessly again.

Glitches happen, if it becomes more frequent post back.

I did notice after reading some posts about the GA-990FAX-UD3, that my voltage on my RAM was a bit low (1.488v) as reported by three different software. So I went into BIOS raised it about 0.02v.
RAM timings are relatively loose for the speed.
I also turned off power saving stuff (like Cool & Quiet).

I did notice after reading some posts about the GA-990FAX-UD3, that my voltage on my RAM was a bit low (1.488v) as reported by three different software. So I went into BIOS raised it about 0.02v.
RAM timings are relatively loose for the speed.
I also turned off power saving stuff (like Cool & Quiet).

I have to set it to +0.15v to get 1.500v in the BIOS, software while on windows still reads 1.488v.

is this motherboat good for overclocking amd fx 8320 to 4,6 GHz?

As long as it's a revision4 it'll handle an FX CPU for that range of an overclock. A lot will depend on the CPU and your cooling as well. These CPUs need a lot of power and create a lot of heat.

There's nothing wrong with running a little extra voltage to the ram. 1.6v is fine and will hurt nothing. ;)

If you send the board in while it's working there is "0" chance you will get any real attention from giga tech support. Almost none if it's really malfunctioning.

i have the 6300 n my voltage 1.5000v in my setting i cant change anything is that normal?

What voltage is 1.5000v? If you are referrring to the ram, then that is a great voltage. If you are referring to another voltage other than ram then that is different.
RGone...

i have the 6300 n my voltage 1.5000v in my setting i cant change anything is that normal?
Fireking if you want help with something please create your own thread, give us a list of all you're components and we can be more helpful.

Back