• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard loses network card with dual channel memory...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prixone

I have this memory KIT:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL

And 2x of these:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL

They are essentially the same memories in frequency and parity so the only thing they could be different at would be I guess the chipset?

I have this motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme4 which does list several F3-12800 as supported memory but does not list any of the ones I own.

Sorry about all the long description above, now into the situation, when I use any of the memories on the first KIT my computer loses the network driver, if you check the device manager it is not listed there at all.

If I use only my 2 single memory modules does not matter where I plug it be it on dual channel slots or split slots it always works normally and the network driver work as well.

If I use any of my KIT memories be it alone or the KIT together the network driver is gone, if I use 1 of the single and 1 of the KIT it goes the network is gone, if I use all the 4 the memory the network driver is gone.

In short no matter how many or what combination I try if I plug the any of the KIT memories my network driver is gone.

If I plug a external network driver on one of the slots then it works.

Is this a memory or motherboard issue? can it be related to the fact of it not being listed on the memory support list of the motherboard and can I be denied from a replacement in this regards?

Any recommendations?

Right now I am using it with the 4 memories plugged and a external network card.

Running OCCT using 30GB memory and full CPU for 1 hour and 20 minutes so far and it seems to be doing just fine any thing bad I might or should expect at all?

Thanks in advance for any help

Are there any bios updates available for your board?

Hard to say which it is really. It sounds like an issue with the KIT memory on the surface. Does it pass memtest when running it, besides network issue?

If so then I would think its MB mostly. Don't think I would have trusted Asrock for an X79 board myself, especially with the number of bad reviews that board has.

I would probably get an Intel PCIE nic and call it a day if everything else works.

Firstly, thanks for the answer.

Are there any bios updates available for your board?
The MB came with the latest BIOS available for download

Hard to say which it is really. It sounds like an issue with the KIT memory on the surface. Does it pass memtest when running it, besides network issue?
Haven't tried with memtest yet, but with OCCT its running stable using 30GB at the moment. The OS boots and everything works as expected it seems the only thing that happens is that the network driver is as if it never existed when the KIT is plugged.

If so then I would think its MB mostly. Don't think I would have trusted Asrock for an X79 board myself, especially with the number of bad reviews that board has.
I did not wanted to buy an ASRock either however I am very limited with options where I can easily RMA without paying the item price twice in taxes. To put it simple any parts I import myself takes anything from a week to a month to get customs clearance and on top of that any computer parts have an 60% + 18% taxes on top of product price + delivery. Since my currency is not USD and USD is worth 2.30~2.40 of my currency, paying that many taxes on a imported product is nearly paying it 3 x what its worth and if I have to RMA I have to deal with all the mailing back stuff which is nearly 100 bucks depending on what you send back.

So in order to avoid all this trouble I try to reduce as much as possible on what sort of things I import to only the things I really want and can't find on any distributor in here.

I would probably get an Intel PCIE nic and call it a day if everything else works.
That is what I am currently testing with OCCT but if you have any other tips of what else I should run to be sure it will be good to leave as is let me know.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if this was a bios issue but it could be a RAM incompatibility problem. I think I would just go with he add in NIC until such time as ASRock issues another bios release that would fix the issue.

From the OCCT(only ran for 4 hours but it seemed very stable the whole time) and memtest(currently running but going strong since the begin) this incompatibility is rather strange I mean the memory slots should be completely independent of circuits or w/e against the network device or rather how can a memory slot disable a network device.

Nonetheless I've filled a support ticket to ASRock with the issue hoping they can fix or at least try it out.

Another thing I found funny is that they tested it with lots of GSkill memories but never tried with any RipJaws above 4GB 12800 model.

UPDATE:

The first memtest passed with no errors but wow it takes awfully long for 32GB on 3930K I've set it to use all cores but seems it makes no difference?

Last edited:
Back