• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd issue with my 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

So I have been mesing with the clock settings on my 8320. managed to get it to 4GHz stable, however I am unable to do this with my RAM in the first pair of slots(1&3) even with default RAM settings(no XMP). In fact the RAM works great in slots 2&4 with the CPU @ 4GHz at DDR3-2133. I am also having issues turning all of the efficiency(C&Q, etc.) settings off. The Temps are within range, idling around 27*C, could it be my motherboard? I have Rev 4.0 from my sig.

PUT that Rev 4.0 in the motherboard description in your signature because it is nearly the MOST important part of the mobo description.
RGone...

Ok so other than suggesting to update my sig, are there any suggestions? Oh and I have read the Bulldozer Overclocking Guide, but this doesnt seem to mention anything about the above.

Downloaded Manual for Rev 4.0 of that mobo...

Capture of memory setup on page #16 of the Rev 4.0 manual for GA-990FX mobo.
RGone...

990FX UD3 Rev4 memory slotsa.jpg

Ok, outside of the physical memory setup, which is nothing new and reviewed before installing initially; I feel as though my question is being completely misinterpreted.

So I have been mesing with the clock settings on my 8320. managed to get it to 4GHz stable, however I am unable to do this with my RAM in the first pair of slots(1&3) even with default RAM settings(no XMP). In fact the RAM works great in slots 2&4 with the CPU @ 4GHz at DDR3-2133. I am also having issues turning all of the efficiency(C&Q, etc.) settings off. The Temps are within range, idling around 27*C, could it be my motherboard? I have Rev 4.0 from my sig.

I personally would not care as long as I got it running as you seem to have in the other slots. You aren't being specific about what problems you are having turning off the efficiency settings so I don't think anyone can attempt to answer that question.

Recently I ran into a similar problem on an Intel board where one the system was unstable when the ram was in one pair of slots but stable in the other pair. It turned out that I had bent socket pins. That was the problem. After I straightened them all four slots worked fine. You might check to see if your CPU has some bent pins.

Ok, outside of the physical memory setup, which is nothing new and reviewed before installing initially; I feel as though my question is being completely misinterpreted.

Instead of dicking around in the wrong slots to start with, how about putting them in the recommended slots. Pretty tough to diagnose a problem when just being in the wrong slots could be the problem.
FWIW, the FX's were never meant to run ram that fast. They're not Intel. Realistically, 1866 give or take a little is the sweet spot. Without knowing what, if anything you adjusted, I'd say you were just lucky they're even running how they are.

Instead of dicking around in the wrong slots to start with, how about putting them in the recommended slots. Pretty tough to diagnose a problem when just being in the wrong slots could be the problem.
FWIW, the FX's were never meant to run ram that fast. They're not Intel. Realistically, 1866 give or take a little is the sweet spot. Without knowing what, if anything you adjusted, I'd say you were just lucky they're even running how they are.

:facepalm:
The point i was making is that the clocks were stable on a different set of Dimm slots. As for the memory frequency the clocks would fail to POST on 1600 as the memory actually has a profile for standard ddr3-1600. Sure they are rated for 2400/2133 but that doesn't mean that they cant run slower. As for setting themselves all i did was leave everything on auto with exception to the Profile which allowed 2133 to be enabled. No voltage, no timings and no manual frequency. Oh and for what its worth the motherboard I am using supports OC DDR3.

@trents mentioned, I somewhat doubt that is the case but I shall check anyways.

@chrisjames61: C1E, K8 Cool & Quiet, C6 support, and Core Unlock, for starters

:facepalm:
The point i was making is that the clocks were stable on a different set of Dimm slots. As for the memory frequency the clocks would fail to POST on 1600 as the memory actually has a profile for standard ddr3-1600. Sure they are rated for 2400/2133 but that doesn't mean that they cant run slower. As for setting themselves all i did was leave everything on auto with exception to the Profile which allowed 2133 to be enabled. No voltage, no timings and no manual frequency. Oh and for what its worth the motherboard I am using supports OC DDR3.
What I'm getting at is, without a bump to the IMC voltage, you stand little chance of getting any ram to run decently at those speeds on an AMD processor. All tweaked out, the IMC is only good for around 2000, thus 1866 is usually the sweet spot.
You should be able to just set it to 1866 and everything on auto and boot with no issues in any slot.
2133, no tweaks, and the wrong slots is just asking for trouble.

Try raising the Cpu Nb Voltage to 1.25-1.35 and see if it helps.

Mr Scott does have a point though most Fx's have a tough time running above 2k on the ram with any kind of stability.

And i do understand that, but I swore that i mentioned it had issues at 1600 let alone more?
Oh and how much of a difference would a Vmem voltage of 1.65 help alleviate that? and sure it is recommended that you use the first pairings but theres nothing that says "if you do this... then... that"

And i do understand that, but I swore that i mentioned it had issues at 1600 let alone more?
Oh and how much of a difference would a Vmem voltage of 1.65 help alleviate that? and sure it is recommended that you use the first pairings but theres nothing that says "if you do this... then... that"
Yes you had and sorry to not be more specific. I have no idea why the sticks will run in one set of Ram slots and not the other. Maybe the suggestion Trents mentioned? Sometimes some boards just do not like certain sticks in certain slots, why IDK?

Yes you had and sorry to not be more specific. I have no idea why the sticks will run in one set of Ram slots and not the other. Maybe the suggestion Trents mentioned? Sometimes some boards just do not like certain sticks in certain slots, why IDK?

Looks like it's an IC problem - Doesn't mean the sticks are bad but more like the CPU/system just doesn't "Like" the set you are using.
I have this same basic issue with certain sets of RAM in my setup and the IC's in the sticks along with the CPU model does play a part in it.

Example:
I have a set of Trident X sticks I seriously thought was bad or at least having problems right out of the package (New) when I tried them in my setup combined with a FX 4300. The sticks didn't want to top 1600 at all and it was to the point the system most of the time woudn't even boot. Swapping them out for another set (Ripjaws X) got it back up and running again no prob.
Later on I got myself an 1155 system and guess what? These same Tridents run like a charm with it, clocks up nicely to their rated speed with no errors or problems BUT when I tried my Ripjaws with it, those sticks acted like they didn't want to clock up nearly as well as they do with my AMD setup.

Seriously, it sounds like an CPU to IC compatability problem going on and I say that based on personal experience with the troubles I had that seems to be similar to what you are saying here.

Looking at the entire scenario...

The point i was making is that the clocks were stable on a different set of Dimm slots. Then you must have two bad ram slots. RMA the mobo.

As for the memory frequency the clocks would fail to POST on 1600 as the memory actually has a profile for standard ddr3-1600. Many of the later boards and bioses for AMD AM3+ cpus have had BIG issues reading the SPD of the ram and getting the correct settings from the ram itself and setting the board up correctly and MORE so with DDR3-2400 speed ram. If the ram I buy even from GSkill does not have very specific reference to working with AMD setups then I do not buy it. Bought two kits about 7 months ago and was in a "hurry" and forgot to do my absolute due diligence and had to return two different kits of GSkil ram that did not work with AMD and one certainly had no mention of working with AMD in its' sale hype. The two kits I ordered in place of those two returned kits worked like a charm and had AMD in bold in the overview.

So just trying to use AUTO with DDR3-2400 spec sticks is not an assurance they will clock down accurately and pick working timings and voltages needed for even a lesser speed. Without the actual ram part number there is no way we can help to look for the actual specs of the ram in question.

As for setting themselves all i did was leave everything on auto with exception to the Profile which allowed 2133 to be enabled. No voltage, no timings and no manual frequency. What I wrote above just about covers the use of AUTO as a completely workable failsafe when using DDR3-2400 ram lately with later UEFI bioses.

Oh and for what its worth the motherboard I am using supports OC DDR3. [color] Yes it supports overclocking the ram speeds but you do it with the FSB when in OC ram mode and is that way because those boards that claim OC on the ram do not have the OC ram speed in bios. So you have to clock the ram up with a lowering of the cpu multiplier and raise the FSB. That is the general rule. [/color]

If the board were mine and I was concerned about why the ram did not work in slots other than the recommended slots for two stick running, then I would either RMA the board for repair/replacement or a better choice would be to send back for REfund and get another brand like an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 that has a better reputation around here of working and at the same time I would make sure the DDR3-2400 ram that I had bought actually was said to be compatible with AMD systems.

That about covers the whole thing.
RGone...

I see, that does make sense Dr. McCoy, do you have any suggestions on clock settings? As I managed to boot to windows with 4.5GHz but made it just past the login screen and BSOD lol IIRC that was using 1.4v or so. These chips are really power hungry I've noticed also!

I see, that does make sense Dr. McCoy, do you have any suggestions on clock settings? As I managed to boot to windows with 4.5GHz but made it just past the login screen and BSOD lol IIRC that was using 1.4v or so. These chips are really power hungry I've noticed also!

More voltage = more heat = more BSODs

More voltage + less heat = more overclocking

AMD cpu + Mushkin 933's easily do up to 1100mhz with a good IMC and Redlines.

1200Mhz OC and beyond would be considered pretty hardcore overclocking, big Ram voltages. The IMC will respond well if you over-volt that memory. Experienced 1200mhz Ram clocks with 1.5v redline mushkins over 1.9v closer to 2.0v. I'm talking single channel or dual channel, Looking just to hit a number, go for single channel and high Ram volts... Want a running number head for lesser Ram volts and looser timings.

I've had some Ram just steady Hump on Cas 5, really AMD responds to tight *** timings. I'd think DDR-2000 Cas 9 would be a goal for most systems wanting to run reasonable Ram voltage.

DDR3-2400, man get a LN2 pot on them sticks and Cpu and see if they'll do 3000 or better. :thup:

Managed to get everything working, so far stable at 4.52 GHz, Vcore sitting at 1.32V.
RAM is sitting at 2142.8 @ 1.65V 11-11-11-28-2T.

I turned off all the extra features such as cool and quiet and the like, bumped the NB voltage to 1.25V as Mandrake4565 suggested.

Back