• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe Heatisnk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Any suggestions on how to mount a heatsink on the listed board. It only has two holes 1 up top and one at the bottom to mount a heatsink not the standard 4 holes for AMD boards. I don't know if this was common on 939 boards but I'm trying to figure out if I can hook any of my after market heatsinks to it. Prolimatech Mega, True 120 or Cm 212 +?

Those holes are to secure a plastic bracket that was used to mount heatsinks. It was a stock part. This thing:
images

I don't know if it's something there was ever an aftermarket part for. I think ASUS has a parts store site.

Those holes are to secure a plastic bracket that was used to mount heatsinks. It was a stock part. This thing:
Yes that I knew, I wanted to bench the board and the stock heatsink, which I have, isn't going to cut it.

I'll have to check the Asus parts store and see if I can find anything that will help thanks.

That stock plastic bracket should be close enough to the same as am2/am3 to use it with a modern heatsink, as long as the heatsink uses the clips.
Failing that, it's time to buy a drill, some threaded rod, and a plastic cutting board.

Failing that, it's time to buy a drill, some threaded rod, and a plastic cutting board.
Don't think it's a possibility Bob I matched up the hold down from my True 120 to see where the holes would line up and there are traces everywhere that would be drilled through.

I'm going to have to put some thought into it to see if I can rig something up.
View attachment 146378

Last edited:
The two-hole design was common to all AMD socket 754 and socket 939 motherboards.

A Thermalright Ultra 120/Ultra 120 Extreme can mount to the board if you have the socket 939 mounting kit (a spreader bar+two screws that screw into the stock backplate, normally sold separately from the original mounting accessories).

I've bought two kits in the past, and they work great for mounting a TRUE/Ultra 90/Ultima 90.

You cut and drill the cutting board to make a backplate and a hold down bracket. Then the threaded rod and nuts to attach the heatsink.

Never drill a pcb unless you designed it and know there aren't any traces. Motherboards are typically between 7 and 11 layers with traces on all of them. Even if the top and bottom look clear, the middle probably is not.

The two-hole design was common to all AMD socket 754 and socket 939 motherboards.

A Thermalright Ultra 120/Ultra 120 Extreme can mount to the board if you have the socket 939 mounting kit (a spreader bar+two screws that screw into the stock backplate, normally sold separately from the original mounting accessories).

I've bought two kits in the past, and they work great for mounting a TRUE/Ultra 90/Ultima 90.
Thanks Tech Tweaker this is exactly what I needed. Looks like they're still in stock also. Thanks :thup:

Back