• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-F2A85X-UP4 strange overclocking side effect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silentvortex

Hello,
I am experiencing a very weird issue after overclocking - i've tried everything and can't figure out the root cause, maybe someone here can help me.

The problem (short version): With stable overclocked settings ONLY the download speed decreases a lot (upload speed remains the same in all scenarios). When i revert to stock settings download speed gradually increases.

My setup:GA-F2A85X-UP4, CPU - A10 6800K, RAM kingston 16 GB (1866) NIC - Intel PRO/1000 gigabit - gigabit LAN and WAN
OS info - Windows 7 64 bit

My OC settings - FSB 100 Mhz (untouched) multiplier 46 (=4600 Mhz) RAM overclocked to 2133, APU graphics from stock to 1150 - voltages adjusted until stability

Note that i have already ruled everything else out - router, ethernet cable, even switched a a few NICs as well (initially i though the issue was only with the onboard NIC) - i tested the router & cable with my i7 laptop and no issue.
I also ruled out any OS issue since i have done a clean install and have the antivirus updated to the latest version (Nod32). My laptop with same OS/antivirus does not have the problem.

I am running out of ideas - my download speed drops to under 10 Mbps on a full Gigabit connection with the above settings while upload stays in all setups at 100 Mbps.

When i revert to stock settings the download speed GRADUALLY returns to relatively good values (although i am getting nowhere near the 800 Mbps that i get with my laptop over the SAME wire & router). Also, this issue is happening ONLY when i download stuff from the WAN. On the LAN i get full and correct gigabit speeds.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Are you using software to Overclock? That might be the issue.

saltare, aveam si eu ceva asemanator, la mine era o combinatie de router prost, cablu reparat si windows 8 :)hope it helps, also the 6 cpu-z tabs would help.

Tibi

Last edited:
Depending on the type of add-in NIC you used but certainly with the onboard NIC the cpu has to do the heavy lifting. I would imagine that there is borderline instability of the system clocked so high and that is causing the cpu to have to do some ECC.
RGone...

i was thinking more in the line of fsb instability and that messing with pci interfaces. Come to think of it i have the fsb problem and i'll try to cure it with extra pll voltage

@RGone - thats exactly what i thought - that the on-board NIC was the issue, which is why i switched to a higher-end NIC (Intel PRO/1000) being absolutely certain this will fix the issue. I had the really unpleasant surprise to see that it was not the case - i have the exact same problem.

@tungureanu - i did not overclock the FSB exactly to avoid this type of issue (an other possible ones) - since the CPU i have is unlocked i just simply increased the multiplier and voltage until stability. Also in my case i have WIndows 7, and the cable/router work ok - i tested with an i7 laptop over the same cable and i get 800 Mbps download and 100Mbps upload

Well, i get the same issue when using the on-board gigabit NIC - i also think its related to the MB itself - looks like something gets overloaded in time and lowers the download spee. The weirdest aspect is that it happens ONLY for WAN downloads as far as i can tell. I can copy over the Lan at very good speeds. My last resort - i just ordered an USB3 NIC

Back