• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cld

Registered
hey, i built this machine maybe, ~2 weeks ago, and since day 1, i've had that problem that under CPU stress the machine freezes.

Now, i have no overlocking experience what-so-ever, i manged to get it somewhat more stable by messing with some things like turbo, and performance mode. (i din't dare to touch the voltages)

However during Compiling, which can often take 20+ minutes while having maxed out CPU usage, the machine still generally freezes after 5-15 minutes or so.

MyiLsoq.png dg8vSmw.png
n91PInq.png TKhCQUO.png
aCeHfYo.png uRabowO.png

It1GotI.jpg
wbYxX2B.jpg
4mltfUe.jpg

Last edited:
OMG! My buddy has the same board with an FX-9590 and it's crashing too. It probably just crashed again!
Because Skype is displaying message "There's a problem with this call" as I'm typing!

Welcome to OCF Cld,
A couple things right off the bat, The Sabertooth recommends that the ram be in slots 2 and 4. Then I would add some voltage to the Dram in bios up to 1.55v. See if that helps. I'm having trouble deciphering the ram timings. It says it's an 1866 kit but there isn't a profile for that in the spd tab. Kingston ram hasn't been the friendliest on this platform to date so if the first two things don't help we'll likely need to up the CPU_NB volts a bit.
Now one thing we need to see is some temps and volt so if you could download Prime 95 and HWMonitor free version , then run P95 in blend mode with HWMonitor open to capture the temps. Take a snip and post that up so we can see what's going on.

3d8tCV9.png

It lasts for maybe 30 seconds or so, until it freezes.

What CPU cooler do you have?

Cooler Master Hyper 103 RR-H103-22PB-R1

+ 3 Case Fans.

I would have went for something bigger, if i knew how unstable this piece of **** is, and how hot it gets.

This CPU is 4.7 + turbo most air coolers top out at 4.5 ish. You're right on the nose there ATM

Grab a Cooler Master Seidon 240M, it is the best CPU cooler that'll fit in your case without going to a custom water loop.

Any alternatives to that cooler?, i have a hard time finding it around here(Netherlands)

Regardless of needing better CPU cooling, can i assume the stability issues aren't caused by temperature?
It dies at 50-60*C, i expect it to at least last a bit longer then 30 seconds if cooling was the issue.

An NH-D15 would be good, if you can't find that look for an H100i.

Welcome to OCF Cld,
A couple things right off the bat, The Sabertooth recommends that the ram be in slots 2 and 4. Then I would add some voltage to the Dram in bios up to 1.55v. See if that helps. I'm having trouble deciphering the ram timings. It says it's an 1866 kit but there isn't a profile for that in the spd tab. Kingston ram hasn't been the friendliest on this platform to date so if the first two things don't help we'll likely need to up the CPU_NB volts a bit.
Now one thing we need to see is some temps and volt so if you could download Prime 95 and HWMonitor free version , then run P95 in blend mode with HWMonitor open to capture the temps. Take a snip and post that up so we can see what's going on.
I seated the ram in slot 2-4, rather then 1-3, i upped the Dram voltage to 1.55, i disabled turbo-mode, and changed the ram frequency from auto to a fixed 1866.

There seems to be no difference still fails with Prime 95 after about 30 seconds.

I'll continue by upping the CPU_NB voltage a little.

An NH-D15 would be good, if you can't find that look for an H100i.
Thanks, ill have a look at those.

EDIT:

I upped the voltage from 1.137 to 1.156 on the CPU/NB(din't help) do i continue / How far do i go?

Last edited:
That's just going to make it hotter.
Your issue is heat already. That's why it hardlocks.

I got an new cooler shipping in, anything i can do in the meanwhile to get it stable? Underclock it?.

Give the CPU 4GHz by lowering the mulitplier and 1.25V on vCore, that should be rock solid.

I had a go at that, can't get my system to boot on 1.25V,

Any voltage that isn't default ends up deadlocking the system ~2 minutes in.
Changing frequency but leaving the voltage default, does the same thing.

When you look at the screenshots in the OP, i set the multiplier to 20.0 (which results in 4ghz), and put the voltages on manual mode, and set the CPU voltage to 1.25. Is that the correct way to go about this?

I would bet to run those sticks at 1866 you likely need to get the Cpu Nb Voltage to 1.3-1.35v which is going to increase the temps. For now maybe try setting the Ram to 1600 and see if it still locks up.

Back