• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice from the software Gods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

I ran into a odd problem today that I just can not figure out.
First let me give system specs:
Motherboard - Asus sabertooth 990 fx
Cpu - Amd FX 8350
Ram - GSkill Ares 2x4gb ( 1866 )
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
SSD - Samsung 256gb
This is my brothers computer that I am working on , Not my own system.
This is a new gaming build. The first sign of a problem was , He was using Norton Internet Security 2014 and one day he started the computer and the anti virus was just gone. He contacted me to help figure out what had happened to it and sure enough when I went and checked and it was uninstalled.
I said fine ( He did not like Norton anyway ). I went and downloaded Norton Uninstall tool and removed Norton. I then went into regedit under user - software and machine software and deleted anything from Norton.
I then went to Kaspersky site downloaded Pure 2015. Everything installed as it should. Two days later after a cold boot. The computer started in safe mode and now Kaspersky is uninstalled. I know this sounds like a virus , because nothing else on the computer was affected , but neither Norton or Kaspersky can detect a virus.

you sure norton and kaspersky were uninstalled? probably just disabled and icons hidden...no matter. try running malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything. i've found it detects things other programs don't. also, might be a rootkit virus. hard to detect and harder to clean. malwarebytes also has a tool to detect and clean rootkit viruses too, but i cant recall the name right now.

any other symptoms?

Last edited:
Thanks , I will do that. If that does not turn up anything. I am going to do a secure erase of SSD. and reload windows 7 from scratch. After that is there anything else you would recommend.

Thanks , I will do that. If that does not turn up anything. I am going to do a secure erase of SSD. and reload windows 7 from scratch. After that is there anything else you would recommend.

nope, after malwarebytes my bag of tricks is empty :)

Back