• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED USB problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RubyBeats

Registered
I connected a FAT32 USB to my PC and i was trying to copy some files to it but i got the message : The Destination you have specified does not exist.It might be an offline network ..
I was unable to copy any file but some times it worked but then i got corrupted files.

I tried to copy the files with my laptop and that worked flawlessly so what could this be ? a wrong driver ? damaged motherboard ? undervoltage ?

Eventviewer:
Code:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR5 during a paging operation.

Checking encrypted volume: volume data can not be read.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a different port?
Were you using a USB3.0 or 2.0 port?

Actually, one last idea.
Make a bootable Ubuntu USB stick. Boot to it, and you can use a "Live" environment where it doesn't install, but you can use the OS.
Test the USB stick with the issue while in Ubuntu Live.

At least that'll rule out an issue with hardware or with software :thup:

Actually, one last idea.
Make a bootable Ubuntu USB stick. Boot to it, and you can use a "Live" environment where it doesn't install, but you can use the OS.
Test the USB stick with the issue while in Ubuntu Live.

At least that'll rule out an issue with hardware or with software :thup:

Great idea ! thanks for that ! i gonna try that soon.

Is it windows 8 when it messed up?
Because they've made a bog up of the usb stack in win8
While incorporating usb3
Some hardware fails to communicate with the controller correctly... It's a very random and ever growing list.

Only yesterday I was filling a micro sd card on win 8 and after 6gb it said the device was out of space but it's a 32gb micro sd... Fun stuff...

While incorporating usb3
Some hardware fails to communicate with the controller correctly... It's a very random and ever growing list.

Only yesterday I was filling a micro sd card on win 8 and after 6gb it said the device was out of space but it's a 32gb micro sd... Fun stuff...

Somehow, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

While incorporating usb3

No it was in Windows 7 Professional still haven't test it further though because it was only that specific USB drive all other are working fine.

Also I've been working with Windows 8 a couple of years now and I think it is more of a USB device problems then a Windows or Windows 8 problem.

The out of space issue was also simmilar with what i had a couple of weeks back with Windows 7 and i was able to copy my files again after manually deleting all my partitions on the USB device with DISKPART.

Last edited:
With win8 I read Microsofts reply to folks issues saying they needed to rewrite the stack system from scratch because some existing controller devices just were not compatible with existing devices.
Mostly a usb3 implementation issue.

Maybe one of the recent updates has messed usb up further as my laptop had no issue copying to the micro Sd about two weeks previous :shrug:

With win8 I read Microsofts reply to folks issues saying they needed to rewrite the stack system from scratch because some existing controller devices just were not compatible with existing devices.
Mostly a usb3 implementation issue.

Maybe one of the recent updates has messed usb up further as my laptop had no issue copying to the micro Sd about two weeks previous :shrug:

Got any links? This is the first I've heard about it.

That seems to be an issue for that Anker controller, not onboard...

If you read it its about many devices and the xhci stack Microsoft wrote for usb 3

Lots of people trying to force the win7 stack on win8...

Edit: quote:-Hey, I hope this helps you out a bit... I have had the same issue on my Asus K55A notebook with Win8.1 Pro x64 from the beginning! Thru my extensive research I found something interesting and the possible cause to all this! What I found was that by design the xHCI Host Controller has virtual HS 2.0 Ports linked to the 3.0 Ports... Enabling compatibility with 2.0 devices ok... What happens is that the xHCI stack is unstable just like you say... The ONLY WAY I was able to fix the problem was by unlocking the UEFI/BIOS to allow me full access to USB Configurations... I had to disable 2 of the HS ports under the xHCI Controller since I have only 2x 3.0 ports... This allowed 3.0 devices to be enumerated correctly under the xHCI stack and 2.0 devices now were enumerated under the EHCI 2.0 stack... That's what worked in my case... I'm still digging around for more info about this issue because I find it so odd that no one discovered this when designing xHCI stacks and drivers at MS for Win8/8.1 x64... I hope I shed some light on this issue... Good luck and keep us posted!

Edit:2
Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/

Amongst the many threads they confess they need a rewrite to fix the xhci usb3 win8 stack... Needle in a hay stack :)

Last edited:
Found the problem... it was a faulty USB extender which i used to extend my USB range to the other side of my desk :burn:

Thanks for all the support :thup:

Found the problem... it was a faulty USB extender which i used to extend my USB range to the other side of my desk :burn:

Thanks for all the support :thup:

Heh, I've had problems with my 4x4 USB Matrix before causing disconnects, didn't even think of an extender or hub doing this :rolleyes:

Glad you found it!

I have trouble with some USB 3 devices not working with USB 3 ports in Windows 8. It's very random. But when the problem occurs if I look in Device Manager two of the USB entries in the tree have a red X by them. I have to reboot to restore them to normal function. I believe those two lines are xhci. If I plug that same problematic USB 3 device into a USB 2 port, no problem.

Back