• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help i7 975

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

Plz Help Overclock my i7 975 XE - Error help, voltage guidance

Hey guys, I'm a bit of a console gamer, and a designer, so my PC has mostly been for designing, as its gotten dated its gotten a little frankensteined over the years :p

I've recently gotten back into PC gaming and I'm looking to get the best performance out of it I can, I'm looking to upgrade and use the old parts in another PC so hoping to see what it can do now before I invest any money in parts for the secondary machine.

Basically I've done a bit of reading and realised I should have paid more attention in maths class :p

I'm not on the PC right now but I'm wondering why kinda of screens would help you guys determine whats going on currently in my machine and what we can tweak to improve it.

I know of CPUz but thats about it, hopefully you guys can guide me to making this thing run a little better without me noobing something and destroying my PC :( lol

Anyway hope to hear back from you guys and thanks to anyone who replies :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply redduc900, its a custom build.

Intel i7 975 @ 3.33Ghz (extreme edition I think)
DFI LanParty Jr x58 board.
About 12gbs DDR3 (Have to swap a stick out I think, as I said, its been Frankensteined :p ) I think its 1333 or 1600 i'll have to double check...
AMD Radeon HD 6570 (quick replacement I had to buy)

That all you need to know? Thanks :)

We'll need to know the exact model of RAM, including the rated timings and voltage. But you should be able to easily hit 4.3GHz w/ these settings (assuming DDR3-1600) and a Vcore of approx. 1.30v...

Disable all power-saving options (C1E, C6, etc.) and Turbo
BCLK = 166
MUltiplier = 26
QPI multiplier = 18
Uncore multiplier = 20
Memory multiplier = 10

So w/ those settings... CPU clock = 4.33GHz, QPI GT/S = 6000, Uncore clock = 3333, DRAM frequency = DDR3-1667.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the reply redduc

OK before I do any of that I'll confirm the RAM, but secondary question would be will those kind of settings be stable with stock cooling?

Stock cooling at approx. 1.30v should be OK, but you'll need to monitor the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. TjMax for the 975 is 100C, so just try keep the cores at 80-85C and below (Distance to Tj = 15-20C).

I've got 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 1.60V ver9.1 (9-9-9-24)

EDIT - I've actually got a couple other RAM sticks, but mixing and matching them isn't the best idea is it?

Last edited:
Well at a 166 BCLK you can either enable the DDR3-1600 XMP profile, which will auto-adjust the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1328 (x8 DRAM multiplier) and DRAM voltage, including tightening the timings to DDR3-1333 SPD settings. Or you can manually adjust the DRAM multiplier to x10 = DDR3-1666 (166 BCLK x 10), the 4 primary timings to 9-9-9-24, and the DRAM voltage to 1.6v.

OK all seems pretty straight forward, so you think I'll be pretty safe with these settings, I'll obviously know once I give it a stress test, but should I slowly amp it up or just go with what you've suggested straight up?

Well, with an unlocked multiplier you have an unlimited number of possible combinations, of which I only gave you one example. Your best bet would be to first read a guide like this one, and fully grasp what each setting does before changing it...

3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated!
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

If you want to start at a lower clock, try 4.0GHz (133 x 30) at approx. 1.23v, this w/ the DRAM multiplier at x12 = DDR3-1600, then ramp it up from there.

Well I thought I followed the guide pretty thoroughly but seems I can't get it to work, no beeps or anything just black screen and I have to reset CMOS...

Any suggestions how I can get this to work? :(

EDIT- Bit more info

Had the BLCK set to 166
CPU Multi 20 = 3333
QPI Multi 18 = 6000
UnCore Multi 20 = 3333
MemMulti 10 = DDR3-1667

Only adjusted the voltages as per the guide, and I THINK i disabled all power saving settings, tho some aren't under the Power Saving menu, and some aren't exactly titled the same way as the guide.

Either way I tried it twice with the same result. Black screen at boot and nothing happens, reset CMOS and try again.

Last edited:
Did some more reading, really not sure what I did wrong, and I can't seem to find a specific guide for my set up :( Any suggestions would be great, I'd love to get this working while I've got some time spare to play around with it.

If you want to start at a lower clock, try 4.0GHz (133 x 30) at approx. 1.23v, this w/ the DRAM multiplier at x12 = DDR3-1600, then ramp it up from there.
Try this and don't change any other voltages besides Vcore (1.23v) and DRAM voltage (1.60v). Leave everything else on Auto including QPI and Uncore (UCLK), except for manually changing the 4 primary DRAM timings (CAS Latency Time (tCL), RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD), RAS# Precharge (tRP), and Precharge Delay (tRAS)) to 9-9-9-24, and change DRAM Command Rate to 2N. Disable all power-saving options (EIST, CxE, etc.) and Turbo Mode, including both CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIE Spread Spectrum.

Last edited:
Try this and don't change any other voltages besides Vcore (1.23v) and DRAM voltage (1.60v). Leave everything else on Auto including QPI and Uncore, except for manually changing the 4 primary DRAM timings to 9-9-9-24, and disable all power-saving options (C1E, C6, etc.) and Turbo.

Thanks again for the reply redduc.

Just to confirm what are the little short codes for the 4 primary timings, and also I'm not sure if theres a way to change it but I think my CPU Multi only goes to 25, so should I raise the BLCK slightly say 166? And do everything else you just said.

I'll post a more detailed description of my settings I choose this time round, and work or not hopefully it will help narrow the problem and/or get me onto the next step :)

Re-read my post. You posted before I finished my last edit. And the max. multiplier for the 975 is x35.

Last edited:
I just tried again with all the settings you suggested except I went 166 BLCK 23 Multi for around 3.8GHz... Didn't work and it definitely only lets me go to 25x on the 'CPU Non-Turbo Clock Ratio'

I got an error on my board saying CF which apparently is:

1. Insufficient DRAM Voltage
2. Incompatible memory moduels
3. Overclocking issue (tight DRAM)
4. BIOS issue.

I changed the DRAM voltage to 1.605v, not sure about the rest but my RAM runs fine otherwise...

I'll post a full some photos of my BIOS after this if I can't get it to work :(

Sorry no I wasn't using the +/- keys just hitting enter then entering a number.

I tried again all same settings except 143 BLCK 25 Multi and the DRAM voltage to 1.590v and it loaded into desktop...

I tried to get a screen but it wasn't happy, temps ran in the 90c's and then went to 100 before it glitched out and I had to power off.

Appears the 3.5GHz and the RAM settings showed up in CPUz, sorry I can't remember much else that was on there.

I can get back into the BIOS and give you more detailed settings but I think getting back to that screenshot is going to take some effort :p

EDIT - I read that HyperThreading can increase heat, so I turned it off, it didn't seem to make any different same result, temps into the 90s then hitting 100 before crashing.

Checked also and I definitely can't go above a 25x multi, not sure if there is an updated BIOS or something that can force it higher, but as far as I can see I'm stuck with x12-x25 multis for CPU.

I can't see why its causing such an intense heat increase, when I've only turned the CPU up 0.2v and its only like 0.2GHz overclocked...

Could it be the RAM causing so much extra heat?

Last edited:
Back