• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering a move.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I havent played around with AMD cpu's since i had XP1600 (i think it was called?)

I am currently planning a benching station, which will serve mainly as a hardware testing station. Since all my rigs are water, i need a system for fast test of GPU's and HDD's and so on.

I have been looking mainly at the 20th anno Pentium CPU and Z87/97 boards, but i thought, why not get an idea of what AMD has to offer, and the price range.

I want maximum fun for my money, and i want it to be cheap. Hence the reason i am looking at the 20th anno Penitum.

Can AMD offer anything similar, that i can overclock and have fun with?

I need to know what socket and APU? i should i be looking at, and also motherbords. Do i need anything special for ocing?

cheap AMD boards = no fun , regardless of used CPU/APU , expensive AMD boards = no point in your case

If you're just looking for something fun to OC, pick up a 955 Be, usually around $75.00 used and a Gigabyte 970/990 Ud3, Sabertooth or M5a99x/990Fx and oc the beans out of it.

a 965 and an m5a97 r2.0, I had this kit under water and boy do I miss the thing.
I'm shipping out my last 965 Tuesday and am just heart broken over it.
I have an apu kit and it's about as much fun to clock as a summer cold.

Basically what i am reading is, stick with intel?

I would like a run down of what apu/cpu goes with what socket/chipset with amd, cos i just dont get it.

What i mean is like intel has lga1150 that goes with 8x/9x chipsets and so on. Whats the logic behind AMD?

Current AMD chipset for discrete AMD cpu is the 9xx chipset group. This chipset is DDR3 only and released for the latest/last FX bulldozer/piledriver cpus. Phenom 2 DDR3 cpus to Thuban and then to FX processors will all work on that grouping of chipset mobos.

I saw it said above that get a 965BE and a good 990FX mobo and you could have some fun. That way you could test SLI or Crossfire setups and most anything else. Using good water, you could have some fun adjusting in bios and well having fun. Never the best bench scores compared to Intel but more fun in my book. Unless you go socket 2011 or the one coming. Now they have full adjustability like an AMD cpu but at big cost.

If I were you, I probably would go Intel since you want some benching numbers. You get slightly better there with Intel.
RGone...

If I were you, I probably would go Intel since you want some benching numbers. You get slightly better there with Intel.
RGone...

Wel for me, its possibly the start of a huge learning. For now i have only ever oc'ed for personal fun. This time its an all out benching rig, and i do seem to understand Intel more.

Will you be trying to compete at HWBot ?

If so and you have not already you may want to join the benching team here. I am sure there are a lot of members that could show you the pro's and cons for a bunch of different platforms. :)

The nice thing is you can compete against the same hardware. So the AMD platform has a lot of potential for hardware points 2D and APU 3D. When doing discrete 3D you will want to lean on your top end Intel though for the best results.

Well, i got a deal on a Pentium G3258, from the guy im buying my benching station off, so it'll be intel this time around.

Pierre like said above if looking to bench on the cheap you can do some of the older AMD chips but if you're really looking to get some 3D points you have to go Intel. Those new Pentiums seem to be pretty fun to OC so good luck with it.

Back