• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: GTX880 Announcement/Launch in September

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gtx-880-nvidia-september-launch,27364.html#xtor=RSS-181

TomsHardware said:
Recently, there was a rumor that Nvidia would be announcing its GTX 880 graphics card at Gamescom 2014. Now, it seems that might not be the case, and that instead we could be seeing a launch sometime mid-September. At least this is what VideoCardz.com has been told. The launch would be a paper launch, where the graphics card would officially be revealed. We won't necessarily get all the tech-specs of the card officially confirmed by Nvidia, but we certainly will get a fairly good idea of what Nvidia is gunning for with the GTX 880.
VideoCardz.com's mockup of the GTX 880VideoCardz.com's mockup of the GTX 880

The rumored specifications are that the card will be based on a GM204-400 GPU. The model name for the reference board is PG401. Onboard we expect to find 4 GB of GDDR5 memory that will run over a 256-bit memory interface. This might sound like a rather narrow memory interface, but remember, the Maxwell architecture doesn't suffer as big a performance hit on narrower memory interfaces as Kepler does.

Pricing should sit between $400 and $450, with performance right between the GTX 780 and 780 Ti. Hopefully, there is truth to this expectation.

The cards are supposed to launch a few weeks after the mid-September paper launch. Note, this is still all a rumor, so sit tight.

If true, that is somewhat disappointing if the performance is less than a 780ti.

If true I have to think they have to many 780Ti cores and are going to try to milk them out until an 880Ti release at Christmas that will capture the crown

Disapointing yes, but it is early in the game and this may not even be acurate

nVidia GTX880 News and Speculation

Just heard in another thread the GTX 880 may be release sooner than originally thought by many sites

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-800/geforce-gtx-880

Not official

Model = Maxwell GM204
Process = 28nm
Cuda Cores = 2560
TMU's = 160
ROPS = 64
Dimensions = ?
Bus support PCIe 3.0 x16
DX support = DX12
OpenGL support = 4.4
Core = 1000
Boost = 1050
Mem = 1752
Effective Memory = 7010 MHz
Mem size = 4096 MB
Mem type = GDDR5
Bus width = 256 Bit
Mem bandwicth = 224 GB/sec
TDP = 200 watts
Minimum System Power Requirments = 500 watts
Connectors = 2x 6 pin

So it begins, I am not convinced this will put a beat down on the 780TI , time will tell as more information becomes available. Have to think I will probably hold out for 20nm's rumored to be in the first quarter of 2015

Gigabyte is the first to play their hand

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-employee-confirms-geforce-gtx-880.html

What are your thoughts ? and is that Fire Strike Extreme score stock or clocked up or is it real at all ?

Last edited:
Peculiar stats to me... less CUDA cores, but more ROPs/TMU's. They may have some special sauce up their sleeve or this is not their high end single GPU but their next tier down. The specs as listed, I would guess, puts this around 780 performance.

(thanks for starting this thread BTW. :))

Here're two more likely scenarios in my mind:

1) GTX880 is a laptop-only rebadge of the GTX6xx/7xx partsn like the GTX3xx cards were.
2) GTX880 is a rebadge of the GTX780.

The videocardz specs are hilarious. GDDR4? lolno.

The memory bandwidth is quite low.
Looks more like specs for a GTX870

^^^ This ^^^

GDDR4 ? Typo ... lol

Don't think this is a rebage, 200 watt TDP on the same process ?

Thinking this core has to have a beastly preformance to watt ratio or as above, this is no flagship unit

I still think this is a stop gap until 20nm parts , possibly the GTX880Ti FTW

Last edited:
The memory bandwidth is quite low.
Looks more like specs for a GTX870

GTX870 would be the "correct" rebadge for the current GTX780, certainly.
As for same process lower TDP, look at GTX480 vs GTX580. 580 had significantly more cores and a lower TDP, both at the same process node.

How did I know this was going to happen... but thats why I bought a GTX660 to tide me over... its EVGA so I can always Step Up anyways

How did I know this was going to happen...
What? Thinking the rumor of its specs and a rebadge is The Gospel... :p

Nothing is a fact here, remember. :)

(though its not exactly a leap of faith considering the past)

I'm just glad I put down the money for 780ti when it first came out because it chews threw every game without a problem. I am not disappointed with they speculated specs because I knew it was going a 780 with slight improvements since it still beats AMD in gaming performance.

I'm just glad I put down the money for 780ti when it first came out because it chews threw every game without a problem. I am not disappointed with they speculated specs because I knew it was going a 780 with slight improvements since it still beats AMD in gaming performance.

+1 looking forward to my 780ti classy. Should hold me over nicely until 9xx series or... What comes after that? Will they go back to quadruple digit names?

expect to be disapointed when they want 750$ for it only to release a TI or something better a month later and dump the price to 550$.

just like the 780 vs 780ti.

nvidia needs to quit milking everyone and price things properly from the start.

they lost me as a long time customer because of their tactics.

i know quite afew others that did the same.

Yea yea.. But people hate feeling like they got suckered/ duped when they buy a GTX X80 NVIDIA product thinking they are getting primo product only to find out Nvidia changed the rules and sandbagged the release.

Its a fool me twice outlook on my end and im not the only one.

Back