• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking 9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ramaddil

Registered
My Current Rig

Mobo - Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0
CPU - AMD FX 9370
Ram - GSkill 16GB (1600)
GPU- Dual 7870 XFX Crossfire
Cooler - H105 Push Pull w/ Noctua NF-F12's
Case - HAF X 942

Here are my HWmonitor and CPU Z pics... I have been playing with voltages and I can get to 4.5 (yes i know stock is 4.4) but at 4.5 my voltage stable is 1.350. I have tried to push the speed and voltage up but my temps spike up to 62-3c. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Push Pull is mounted entirely in the case with 2 200 mm fans mounted directly above it. If you need pics of interior let me know.

Attachments

• cpuz 1.png
    cpuz 1.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 318
  • cpuz memory 1.png
    cpuz memory 1.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 308
  • memory 2.png
    memory 2.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 311
  • hwmonitor.png
    hwmonitor.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
What is the make and wattage of your PSU?

When you say your temps are spiking at 62-63c, what temps are you referring to? There are two important temps to keep an eye on: 1. Package temp (which is the temp of the processor cores), 2. CPU temp (which is actually the temp of the CPU socket area). Which one are you referring to?

Power supply is a 850W Corsair... Refering to the CPU Temp regarding the temps which i am assuming is the core temp?

You'd want to run the XMP profile for the 9-9-9 timing set for better performance. Cpu temp is high.... find a fan for the VRM package area, that may help lower that cpu socket temp a little.

Ah.... So Package temp is what needs to stay under 62 and cpu temp needs to stay under 70c?

would 2-3 small fans be better than 1 120mm fan for vrm cooling?

would 2-3 small fans be better than 1 120mm fan for vrm cooling?

To me small fans just don't push enough air. Most 40mm fans can only push about 8CFM and 50mm can push maybe 30CFM. Two of them might get the job done. I use a 92mm pushing some 75CFM. Never noticed an issue with that much air. Most of us use a fan on the rear of the mobo as well right in the cpu area thru the cpu cutout in the mobo tray. So there is a pretty good need for VRM/Socket cooling and greatly so with water cooling and no cpu cooler that uses fan/air for cooling the cpu.
RGone...

Last edited:
Hey Ramadill. I have a 9370 myself. Have had it both water and bow air cooled. I can attest that the socket will get very hot. I had my 9370 up to 5.0, but socket temps quickly exceeded the generally considered safe temp.

As for vrm and north bridge fans, I was using 2 40 mm fans each heat sink in a generally high airflow case. I saw no problems. Although as RGONE states, more cfm is better.

Yea Infinite.. My Core Temps are fine... My socket temp is very high, I have a 120MM fan behind the socket and I put a 120mm Nocuta on top of my GPU facing the VRM Heatsink and it helps a little but not a lot.. Honestly I think the most I can get will be 4.7 stable before the heat is to much.. I am stable at 4.5ghz arround 1.3750 volts... But over that It gets more dicey.. I am not that great of a overclocker that's why I needed help.

I may change the fan on the rear of the socket to a 40-60mm fan with high rpm for more directed cooling..the 120 is a little big and the air doesnt hit the socket that well.

Yea Infinite.. My Core Temps are fine... My socket temp is very high, I have a 120MM fan behind the socket and I put a 120mm Nocuta on top of my GPU facing the VRM Heatsink and it helps a little but not a lot.. Honestly I think the most I can get will be 4.7 stable before the heat is to much.. I am stable at 4.5ghz arround 1.3750 volts... But over that It gets more dicey.. I am not that great of a overclocker that's why I needed help.

I may change the fan on the rear of the socket to a 40-60mm fan with high rpm for more directed cooling..the 120 is a little big and the air doesnt hit the socket that well.

Yea unless you're running custom liquid cooling, 4.8 is usually the tap out point. And that is usually brushing the core temp ceiling. I have mine at 4.4ghz right now on a Thermaltake frio extreme dual tower sink. 1.325v. Not much you can do really with these chips and socket temps. Other than what was mentioned already.

Any particular reason you're looking to push that high? I mean higher speeds are cool for bragging rights and all like I was doing at 5.0.l for a while. But gaming wise with my single r9 290, I see no performance difference in any game with my chip at 4.4 as compared to 5.0.

Before the 290, I was running sli gtx 670s. So bottleneck isn't an issue with your dual 7870s I would think

running with mx-4... I was'nt trying to push it that much and I may just stay at 4.5 since it is relatively stable without much heat on the socket. I was just curious i heard of some people getting 5ghz+ on closed loop.. Maybe they are really lucky. Was just making sure I was getting what I could out of it......... I think they biggest issue I have with this chip is the 1.5v cpu voltage that it is set at.. At stock voltage with turbo core it was pushing temps high.... Also it would throttle down to 4.1ghz because of the heat i am guessing. Thays why I was undervolting it to get lower temps and a constant speed

running with mx-4... I was'nt trying to push it that much and I may just stay at 4.5 since it is relatively stable without much heat on the socket. I was just curious i heard of some people getting 5ghz+ on closed loop.. Maybe they are really lucky. Was just making sure I was getting what I could out of it......... I think they biggest issue I have with this chip is the 1.5v cpu voltage that it is set at.. At stock voltage with turbo core it was pushing temps high.... Also it would throttle down to 4.1ghz because of the heat i am guessing. Thays why I was undervolting it to get lower temps and a constant speed

Undervolting is a good idea.... You can also look at your Pstate voltages as well to get an idea of what the factory presets are.

In cpu-z go to about tab and click "save report txt." then have a look for the Pstates. There should be seven of them. Make sure the processor is running stock speeds though.

It'll look like this

FX-8350

# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0E - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.375 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x16 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.275 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x1F - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.162 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x29 - IDD 5 (10.50x - 1.037 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x33 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.912 V)

With a TEC cooler and only two cores running I was able to push the Cpu to 5.3ghz on considerably low voltage. 5326.27Mhz @ only 1.440v to be exact. The max Cpu socket temp was only -1c

You have plenty of tweaking to do with your Rig. Take advantage of higher HT and NB speeds if you can as well. :salute:

EDIT: Stock HT speeds are 2600mhz FTW.

Will do... Gonna change my ram profile as suggested earlier also... I got confused with the numbers i am so used to using core temp and not worrying about the socket temp... I think its crazy the amount of heat that is generated by the socket on this processor...

I think its crazy the amount of heat that is generated by the socket on this processor...

Truthfully the socket temp is a number computed by the cpu and handed off to the I/O chipset to be read by the mobo or various software. It is just an electrical signal to be interpreted as a programmer wishes.

None of us that have run over 5.0Ghz on our FX-8350s is surprised by the heat put off by the FX-9xxx cpus. We have all been thru that heat plateau. It gets hOt for sure. Each and everyone of us had to respond to the heat with radical cooling.

AMD has to validate each cpu to run its default speed and the TurboCore speed and this is in any system that is not messed with in a bios but left to run as cpu was built to do. I know when the few users coming thru here have come back with their P-State voltages, they have been a shade high but not so much more than we saw when we pushed our FX-8xxx processors from 4.0Ghz on up thru the default speeds of the FX-9xxx cpus.

Now that fewer are going AMD and certainly n0t the FX-9xxx cpus, we have seen some new behavior emerge. Originally before they began to bin for FX-9xxx cpus, most of the FX-8350s would do +5.0Ghz without any doubt if it was cooled pretty well. Speaking to non-Supercooling. Then we began to see a few FX-8350s that would not even do 4.8Ghz NO matter how much voltage you put on it. 4.8Ghz though on air without a freeken problem. Not the cpu for me. Hehehe. Then I have seen a few FX-8350s with an x20 P-state with a voltage of only 1.315V. Now that is not any Vcore at all for 4.0Ghz and it ran like that also as it was run daily at 5.2Ghz with good water-cooling.

So the FX playing field has changed over the 2 years the Piledriver cores have been out in retail. The only that really has not changed is the rush of cool air thru the case and a big watercooling setup to handle the heat.

Then it comes down to balancing voltage for X speed stability and staying within the heat range as suggested. I would try lower Vcore with everything manually controlled with few Auto settings. Maybe your cpu is one that does not need much Vcore to run a fair cpu speed. If so that would lower the heat. Otherwise you juggle the numbers until you get all you get with the least heat you can stand. Each of us has had to do that. I have about $105.00 in an air cpu cooler that allows me to run at 4.8Ghz P95 Blend stable but that was done after weeks and weeks of study to get an AirCooler capable of such foolishness. I like it but the fans run fast all the time to manage it. Others would say it is too loud. YMMV.
RGone...

Power supply is a 850W Corsair... Refering to the CPU Temp regarding the temps which i am assuming is the core temp?

No, CPU temp is not the core temp. As I said, it is the socket area temp.

Package temp is closest to what used to be core temp.

Truthfully the socket temp is a number computed by the cpu and handed off to the I/O chipset to be read by the mobo or various software. It is just an electrical signal to be interpreted as a programmer wishes.

None of us that have run over 5.0Ghz on our FX-8350s is surprised by the heat put off by the FX-9xxx cpus. We have all been thru that heat plateau. It gets hOt for sure. Each and everyone of us had to respond to the heat with radical cooling.

AMD has to validate each cpu to run its default speed and the TurboCore speed and this is in any system that is not messed with in a bios but left to run as cpu was built to do. I know when the few users coming thru here have come back with their P-State voltages, they have been a shade high but not so much more than we saw when we pushed our FX-8xxx processors from 4.0Ghz on up thru the default speeds of the FX-9xxx cpus.

Now that fewer are going AMD and certainly n0t the FX-9xxx cpus, we have seen some new behavior emerge. Originally before they began to bin for FX-9xxx cpus, most of the FX-8350s would do +5.0Ghz without any doubt if it was cooled pretty well. Speaking to non-Supercooling. Then we began to see a few FX-8350s that would not even do 4.8Ghz NO matter how much voltage you put on it. 4.8Ghz though on air without a freeken problem. Not the cpu for me. Hehehe. Then I have seen a few FX-8350s with an x20 P-state with a voltage of only 1.315V. Now that is not any Vcore at all for 4.0Ghz and it ran like that also as it was run daily at 5.2Ghz with good water-cooling.

So the FX playing field has changed over the 2 years the Piledriver cores have been out in retail. The only that really has not changed is the rush of cool air thru the case and a big watercooling setup to handle the heat.

Then it comes down to balancing voltage for X speed stability and staying within the heat range as suggested. I would try lower Vcore with everything manually controlled with few Auto settings. Maybe your cpu is one that does not need much Vcore to run a fair cpu speed. If so that would lower the heat. Otherwise you juggle the numbers until you get all you get with the least heat you can stand. Each of us has had to do that. I have about $105.00 in an air cpu cooler that allows me to run at 4.8Ghz P95 Blend stable but that was done after weeks and weeks of study to get an AirCooler capable of such foolishness. I like it but the fans run fast all the time to manage it. Others would say it is too loud. YMMV.
RGone...

Yea Its def a balancing act...Gonna keep playing with it until I am happy I guess... More than Likely I will stay around 4.5-4.6... I don't wanna play with it forever just for small 100-200 mhz increase that in the end wont make much difference

No, CPU temp is not the core temp. As I said, it is the socket area temp.

Package temp is closest to what used to be core temp.

Yea I got it now... I just got confused by HWmonitor because I have been so used to core temp over the years..

Did some serious looking around...

...serious enough that there maybe valid concerns about the overall air flow thru and out of that case.

Brand
COOLER MASTER

Series
HAF series

Model
RC-942-KKN1

Cooling System

140mm Fans
1 x 140mm rear fan

200mm Fans
1 x 200mm top fan
1 x 200mm side fan

230mm Fans
1 x 230mm front red LED on/ off fan

Pull is mounted entirely in the case with 2 200 mm fans mounted directly above it. If you need pics of interior let me know.
Yes by all means some high-resolution pics and air flow direction thru the fans where ever they be located.

I did some research on your case and captured a pic from a CM video about that case.
I was put-off by some of what I found in conjunction with what you wrote about the
radiator being fully inside the case. I am suspecting you have lots of fans and no real
air-flow into and out of your computer case and that is likely making it hard for fans at
the VRMs and maybe even rear of cpu, to do much good. Air is just laying as if dead
inside the case. That and what is shown in the uploaded image below.
RGone...

HAF-X 942.jpg

Back